Menu

If you're in a co-op is there a limit to the number of families?

KristineIN

Our current co-op, which I am even a board member, has about 80 families, that's about all the church can hold. However, I am constantly hearing about things that are happening (broken foosball table, pop taken from the youth room, we aren't sending out new registration until these matters are resolved, but still things keep happening, I'm really surprised that the church is letting us return) and it's mostly just stupid stuff. I really think it's due to the size, but another board member feels we need to reach out to anyone that we can. How do you find a happy medium? Does your co-op limit the size? I loved it when it was about 40 families.

Kristine

we had a co-op where we used to live and it has had to limit the numbers.

Too many families and I think you miss out on so much of the intimacy and relationships that you can build and make co-op something worthwhile. I would suggest to the leadership to maybe divide it up according to location; those who come from the west can meet in a location to the west, the north to the north, etc.

It would seem just too hard. Not to mention the reputation you get when things like that start happening.

The coop my kids attend has about 200 children. It's not technically a coop, most families just pay tuition and teachers and staff are paid. With that many kids, I doubt a true coop would work. At our program, kids are never left unsupervised. They have to be in their class and their teacher is in charge.

Our co-op's size is limited by the building space. At one time we had about 120 people (incl. moms) and there were always problems. We now have about 15 families (a much smaller church) and things have been so smooth this year. I have been a board member since inception, but would resign if we ever approached more than 20-25 families. It is such a headache to control that many people. There are always those who will be devious (sad to say) and they don't stand out like they would in a smaller group.

We're in a Classical Conversations group which is limited to 64 students. (8 classes of 8 students) Moms and younger siblings come to class also, so we have a little over 100 people there each week.

My kids also go to karate at another co-op. It is very large--300 or so kids. They have a really strong leadership structure, but it really is a big job for them to keep everyone in line.

They each have their pros and cons, but I personally like the smaller group. It's easier to get to know the kids and the other moms and it feels more like a family.