Menu

Teaching Grammar?

mommy4ever

Is this possible to do without tears?

I am at loss what to do. I have now tried 3 programs, 1 at 2 different levels, and it's getting expensive! DD11 just cries and cries about it.

It is getting ridiculous. We go over it. She can explain what we learned, np. But when it's time to do the work, she either resists, or does it as quickly as possible, then cries when we correct it.

So i refuse to get yet another program! This has cost us too much already.

How can I get her to work with me on this? What is a good approach for a kid that is being difficult?

We has started at ground 0 now, and she is STILL claiming it's too hard. the 6 yo is doing grammar at a higher level and she has just started reading. Of course, I haven't told her that, because that would make it worse.

This is a bright child who is being ridiculous. If I can get over this hurdle, what are we going to do with the next time she digs in her heels and refuses. I agree with SWB in that sometimes it's not fun, but it's for the greater good. To suck it up and get it done. But she also says, if the kid is crying, it's not working. I really don't know if anything isn't working cause i can't get past the first lesson, now. With ANY writing, or language arts.

I'm about ready to tell her, fine grow up illiterate! Of course I will not, I simply say, ok, we have reached a point where we need to take a break from this and try again later. No emotion, no frustration, until she pitches a hissy fit and gets sent to her room for being rude.

I don't know what to do :(

If you can explain the material to her, and she can demonstrate understanding of the material, perhaps a different way of practicing is what she needs?

For example, could you correct the grammar in her other written work using the rules you've already discussed with her, instead of having her do separate grammar exercises?

Or could you ask her to come up with her own idea on how to practice/apply the material?

For the parts of speech, what about mad libs? I bet your younger child would enjoy that, too.

Or you could take up the study of another language and discuss grammar that way.

Is this possible to do without tears?

I am at loss what to do. I have now tried 3 programs, 1 at 2 different levels, and it's getting expensive! DD11 just cries and cries about it.

It is getting ridiculous. We go over it. She can explain what we learned, np. But when it's time to do the work, she either resists, or does it as quickly as possible, then cries when we correct it.

So i refuse to get yet another program! This has cost us too much already.

How can I get her to work with me on this? What is a good approach for a kid that is being difficult?

We has started at ground 0 now, and she is STILL claiming it's too hard. the 6 yo is doing grammar at a higher level and she has just started reading. Of course, I haven't told her that, because that would make it worse.

This is a bright child who is being ridiculous. If I can get over this hurdle, what are we going to do with the next time she digs in her heels and refuses. I agree with SWB in that sometimes it's not fun, but it's for the greater good. To suck it up and get it done. But she also says, if the kid is crying, it's not working. I really don't know if anything isn't working cause i can't get past the first lesson, now. With ANY writing, or language arts.

I'm about ready to tell her, fine grow up illiterate! Of course I will not, I simply say, ok, we have reached a point where we need to take a break from this and try again later. No emotion, no frustration, until she pitches a hissy fit and gets sent to her room for being rude.

I don't know what to do :(

How old is this child? Sometimes it's best to back off a little; it could be a maturity issue. In the meantime; do you have Daily Grams, MCT, or even LLATL to use until she is ready?

I would sell the programs that you currently own, and try a few more. But this time, have your dd sit with you and look at samples. Print them out if you can and have her try them.

She will feel more connected to the program if she has been allowed to choose for herself. Maybe she needs an out of the box program like MCT, LLATL, or even Winston (or what about the grammar that SL uses- the one year program); anything to jumpstart her understanding and get her interested. You can always move on to something else later.

I know you didn't want to hear about another program, but I might also suggest MCT. It's so completely different. If you do a board search, you'll see post after post about how grammar turned from tears into fun, or at least a not-hated part of the day. We never had tears with grammar here, but my dd likes MCT's 4-level analysis so much, she started using it in German too (and if she can actually manage to use it on more complex German sentences someday, that will be worth its weight in gold).

I am really reluctant to get anything else. We have to import everything as it is, and shipping is insane.

I do think this is a power play on her part. (It works on her dad alot). She did do it in math, and finally stopped. She tries it in history too. I have manage to overcome those, but with grammar..... she has dug her heels in.

She is the one that CHOSE FLL. She heard me with her sister and wanted it at her level... then we dropped a level, and dropped a level again. Easy Grammar she agreed to try after we looked at it at a homeschool fair. Didn't even get through a full lesson before the tears started.

I chose Anallytical because it stated at her grade level, but starting from scratch. Borrowed JrAG.

I know you're not keen on buying another program :), but I'd like to suggest what we use. We're using Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons. They are short lessons, and many can be done orally. I think you can find it free somewhere online, so you wouldn't have to deal with shipping. Although, if it works I highly suggest buying it because it's a nice hardcover book to have in hand.

We also use Cozy Grammar, which has DVDs and worksheets. Maybe you could entice her by first allowing her to watch the dvds (one short clip at a time). Cozy Punctuation is also fantastic.

How about having her do dictionary work first, where she has to write out the definitions of the parts of grammar, and give examples. I would rather start out slow, consistent, and gentle, than further a power struggle. Maybe she's being truthful when she says it's too hard.

On the other hand..I might be a mean mommy here, but I would tell my daughter that as soon as she starts to tear up, she needs to excuse herself to cry privately and come back after she's washed her face and is ready to work every time she starts in. I can't go for crying in those types of situations where you lean more towards it's happening to get what they want, than a reaction to the embarrassment/frustration of not being able to understand the work.

:grouphug:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-Language-Lessons-Emma-Serl/dp/0965273571

http://www.splashesfromtheriver.com/

Edited by helena

I think, if this is a power play, you guys should probly hash this out in some way.

If I was in your shoes...I would sit down with dd and all 3 programs. I would allow her the freedom to pick wich one of the ones already tried she is willing to work with. Then I would begin some sort of simple reward system for doing the work without histerics. I would reward both kids based on their attitudes in dealing with their work...not on how well they do it academically.

I have a dd a lot like this...so I feel your frustration. Part of it is her perfectionism...and being afraid to fail. I had to make it "safe" to fail at the work, but not okay to "give up" or "give in" to her emotions.

Hope that helps! if not ignore me I don't know what I'm talking about :D

I'll recommend something else. In looking at the things you've done before, I tried to think of something different and thought of Shurley. Now I haven't used it before, but I have it because I'm thinking of using it next year. You could do it the way OhElizabeth and others do: only the grammar portion. It's basically analyzing three sentences a day in a scripted question and answer format. The multi-sensory aspect and working directly with you could really help her. You could do it with her on paper or a white board, or you could invest in the practice book which is about $6.95 I think. It shouldn't take you much time, and I really think it would be worth the effort of working together with her each and every time she does grammar. When dd9 had rough spots with math, the most effective thing I did was just sitting with her, explaining, but, most of all, giving her the personal support during the toughest time of her day. It's hard when you have other dc to take care of but it's worth it. I've seen very inexpensive used Shurley Teacher's Guides, and that's really all you'd need to start. You could easily get one used after selling some of that other stuff.