Menu

Handwriting decision?

DD (4.5) is doing pretty well with handwriting without a program. I make worksheets for her and we make lots of cards to send to family. Anyway I can I try and work in fun writing. However, she still doesn't remember on her own how to write most letters and numbers. I have to write them out on another sheet of paper and then she can do it.

I think we should go ahead and get a program to encourage good writing habits. But I can't decide.... Zaner-Bloser or D'Nealian? How did you decide which to use? Does it really matter? On those lines... which has been your favorite handwriting program?

We used Handwriting without tears for about 75% of this past school year and I didn't like the special lined paper. I was always having to explain how to make the letters on the dashed lined paper that were being used in their other subjects like phonics and math. So we switched to A Reason for Handwriting and we love it. I love that treehouse visual. When they make a mistake, I show them the treehouse and say something like, you just made a hole in the ceiling or you just fell down the ladder. They think it's a lot of fun.

imho, it doesnt really matter.

Pick any decent style you like, find (if you can) a free font or software or web site for generating the copywork and just get the child to do it on a regular basis.

Most people (and many children) modify their handwriting style as they grow and most people ultimately settle for a combination of cursive+italic or print+italic, depending on their profession and their preference.

>>How did you decide which to use?

The way I decide something is to research it to death :-P

I read library books/web site articles by various handwriting experts and handwriting repair experts. I realized that italics is the easiest style with which we can write quickly and legibly. But if you like (say) ZB cursive, you could teach your child in that style and later (once they are about 10 or so - old enough to appreciate the need for speed) show them how to modify the style to write faster while keeping it legible. e.g. avoid the loops in f, y, g, change some uppercase letters to more like print script, make some letter joins 'in the air' etc.

Edited by nansk

I used Getty-Dubay and I also made my own sheets with the Getty-Dubay font and DD was still having trouble. She didn't enjoy writing and her writing wasn't very neat. After using Zaner-Bloser her writing really improved. I really like the way the book is laid out with directions written to the student. The book told her how to sit, position her paper, and hold her pencil. It was a big help. So I vote for Zaner-Bloser. :)

I used Kumon, mostly because I found it at Target and bought it on a whim. But it turned out to work really great for my dd, who was a little younger than yours at the time. After we finished the Kumon books, we have just been doing copywork, which I print out from a free internet site.