Menu

Can I use Writing With Ease level 1 with my 1st and 3rd graders.

My 3rd grade ds is a very reluctant writer and my 1st grader is not...I would say they are both on 2nd grade level...I would like to start WWE with both of them. It would be much easier to do them together...using the longer copy work sentences for my older ds. Would this be way under his grade level...or ok?

The older has not done any creative writing but has beautiful penmanship and can copy well. He needs work in narration.

Thanks,

Faithe

My 3rd grade ds is a very reluctant writer and my 1st grader is not...I would say they are both on 2nd grade level...I would like to start WWE with both of them. It would be much easier to do them together...using the longer copy work sentences for my older ds. Would this be way under his grade level...or ok?

The older has not done any creative writing but has beautiful penmanship and can copy well. He needs work in narration.

Thanks,

Faithe

Subbing ... my 8 year old will be a 2nd grader, but I'm planning to use WWE level one with both my 6 and 8 year olds this fall.

I think Level 1 is more than fine for a 3rd grader, especially if he/she has not done much with dictation and narration. You may find that your 3rd grader is able to move faster and you could move along more quickly if needed.

I was wondering the same thing! WWE 2 seems like it may be too much for my rising 3rd grader (that struggles with writing), so I was thinking about using WWE 1 & changing it a little to include dictation one day a week. I'll accelerate the pace if she needs me too. I'll keep it "as is" for my rising first grader though, and will slow down the pace if he needs me too. I'm not sure though... I've just been throwing this idea around in my head:)

Susan

Have you looked at the WWE diagnostic evaluations? I would go through those with each child and find the level that will work best for both. You might find that WWE2 is a better fit than WWE1.

I agree. WWE1 is pretty simple. The narration is usually "tell me one thing you remeber from the passage." You could easily use WWE2 and work on the skills in that level for longer if needed, just using your own books and passages after the workbook is completed.

Have you looked at the WWE diagnostic evaluations? I would go through those with each child and find the level that will work best for both. You might find that WWE2 is a better fit than WWE1.

I appreciate this reminder - I'd forgotten that those were in the book.

So I guess for us, since we've never done narration before and she's still working on basic spelling, WWE1 still makes the most sense ... but I can absolutely see her moving more quickly than little brother. Thanks!

So I guess for us, since we've never done narration before and she's still working on basic spelling, WWE1 still makes the most sense ... but I can absolutely see her moving more quickly than little brother. Thanks!

At that level I had my older kids doing 1 week's worth of lessons in 1 day so they could move faster.