Menu

HS'ing has made me more aware of the world

I am pretty sure that now that I am homeschooling I am more in touch with the physical world around me. I am constantly looking for "teachable" moments.

Today I was walking into work and under the awning of the door is a few little nests of birds. I have always known they are there because they fly out and scare me when I walk by. Today there were 2 little males (I assume male because they are the ones to do the dance for the girlies) They were strutting and fluffing and wagging their little behinds and turning in circles. I stopped and watched them and was only a few feet from them and they were oblivious to me since there was a pretty little girly bird on the fence post near by. I sure wish DD was there so we could have watched them together.

About 2 weeks ago we were at our farm and looking for worms. We aren't studying worms yet but I wanted to show her that there a a lot of them if you know where to look so we were flipping over rocks and logs and picking up the worms and putting them in a bucket. I moved a big 55gal drum and there was a SALAMANDER!!! under it. We scooped it up and took it home (our farm is 80 miles away and we stay there while doing farm work but live in town). We now have a pet salamander named Spot and both the girls love feeding him worms and crickets. We have read 3 books about salamanders that we probably wouldn't have read other wise!

I love homeschooling!!!!

Good for you and lucky for your kids. You're right, though. That's an underreported benefit of HSing.

Oh and you are a way better mom than I. My kids caught a lizard and wanted to keep it as a pet. I told them that we should let the lizard live in the freedom of the world, but that we could name him, read books about him, keep an eye out for him, write a story about him. Inside my head I was screaming "EWWW. No way! I know the baby will let that thing out and it will somehow get in my bed or my shoe or ....!!!"

I've noticed this too! And I haven't even "officially" started homeschooling yet.

Even our thoughts on vacation planning have changed. The more historical sites there are to hit the better! :lol:

Edited by Xuzi
they're, their, THERE! :op

Even our thoughts on vacation planning have changed. The more historical sites their are to hit the better! :lol:

My best friend thought I was absolutely nuts because we chose Colonial Williamsburg over Disney for vacation last year. We had just finished early American history and we were able to spend time in DC, Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown. There was no making her understand though. She just is sure I"m crazy.