Menu

8th Grade Planning Underway

TechWife

I am not finished choosing our curriculum at this point, but I have started to write lesson plans for what I have chosen. I am trying to get things done as early as I can - I'd actually like some time off this summer!

So far I have completed the lesson plans for both vocabulary and grammar for the entire year - Homeschool Tracker Plus strikes again!

So far, this is how plans are shaping up:

Language Arts

Grammar - Analytical Grammar, Season 3 (1st 1/2 of yr.)

Composition - The Elegant Essay (2nd 1/2 of yr.); assignments in History and Science

Vocabulary - Vocabulary from the Classical Roots, Book A; The Learning Works' Prefixes and Suffixes; The Learning Works' Greek and Latin Roots

Literature - Assignments from History Odyssey and/or Lightening Literature 8th Grade and/or Progeny Press study guides. I am leaning towards the HO assignments and Lightening Literature.

History

History Odyssey Modern Times, Level Two

Science

Prentice Hall Science Explorer, Physical Science

Mathematics

Algebra I, Larson, Chalk Dust

Engineering Elective

Technical Drawing - Possible books include Basic Technical Drawing by Henry Cecil Spencer from Glencoe or Glencoe Mechanical Drawing: Board and CAD Techniques. I may also call our community college and see what they have available as far as texts go.

Logic

Introductory Logic - home school class for 8 weeks followed by The Art of Argument, an Introduction to the Informal Fallacies from Classical Academic Press at home.

BibleWe will continue to read 3 chapters per day.

For study, I am undecided. I am looking at several options from Precept Ministries International. The leading candidates are The Problem with Evil (4 lessons on Job for teens); The New How to Study Your Bible book and workbook (adult version, not divided into lessons); Lord, Teach Me to Study the Bible (adult version, 4 weeks of daily lessons); Lord, Teach Me to Pray (adult version, four weeks of daily lessons); any title from the New Inductive Study Series or the 40-minute Bible Studies or Cracking the Covenant Code (kids, unknown # of lessons, fall 2010 publication date). These are all such good studies we are having a hard time deciding.

So, how is your planning going?

That all looks great. I keep thinking this is the year we'll use HO, but I've finally decided it's not in the cards for this kid. Maybe next cycle through.

My planning (for 8th) is going more easily now that I've got it down to a manageable action list. My current worry is testing, both end of the year assessments for the school district and vocational testing for our own purposes.

Here's what I'm planning for my 8th grader:

Math: Pre-Algebra (Teaching Textbooks) at co-op

English: Literature class at co-op, plus Phonetic Zoo spelling and Winston Grammar (finish 2nd half), and IEW Bible-based Writing Lessons (possibly not the whole book; depends on how much writing he does for lit.class) at home

Bible: Not sure yet. I have ordered this Old Testament text and workbook, but have not received it yet. I hope it's as good as it looks online, and that it's doable without the TM, which I didn't buy because it's very expensive.

History: Brimwood Press Tools for Young Historians, followed by using DK's fun Take Me Back and adding to the timeline and history notebook for the rest of the year.

Science: History of Science using Milestones in Science kit, writing lab reports, adding info to timeline, and possibly reading some scientist biographies.

Logic: Continue doing logic puzzles; hopefully do an introductory logic text 2nd semester.

Foreign Language: Beginning Japanese

Art at co-op

Wendi

What is on your manageable action list?

• make up checklist of daily repeating assignments

• make week by week supply list for Artistic Pursuits

• coordinate lapbooks + picture books for Science Matters

• print out notebooks, organize assignments for Trail Guide to World Geo

• coordinate IEW TTC with lit list

• schedule Mythos, Connections, Civilisation

• list questions for SL 5 readers

• add If by Rudyard Kipling to Mnemosyne

• assemble planner

History: Brimwood Press Tools for Young Historians, followed by using DK's fun Take Me Back and adding to the timeline and history notebook for the rest of the year.

Science: History of Science using Milestones in Science kit, writing lab reports, adding info to timeline, and possibly reading some scientist biographies.

This sounds like a fun combo.

This sounds like a fun combo.

I think it will be fun. Ds really needs a better grasp the "big picture" of history. I think the Brimwood materials will be great. We bought Take Me Back after he checked it out from the library and loved it. He's not ready for Physical Science yet, but I want him to do experiments and write lab reports all year.

Wendi

So far this is the plan:

SL Core 100 for Bible, History, and some of their Lit, will probably change some out for other good books

Fallacy Detective, and possibly Thinking Toolbox if there is time

CLE Math 8 with LoF Fr/Dec% as supplement

CLE LA 8

BJU Life Science Online (she hasn't had much life science in the last 2 years)

Writing: still not sure (I have Writing Strands 4, 5, or 6, and a friend has IEW SWI for middle school she might let me borrow.) I know she will do some of the writing assignments in SL, but there is not any real instruction.

With brother:

devotions, artist and composer studies, poetry reading

Outside activities:

SAT Vocab Class (a retired English teacher is giving for free!!)

Co-Op Classes (about 16 weeks of the year)

Book Club