Menu

Anyone in the British Isles know if flights are still being delayed?

I am trying to make plans to travel and I don't want to get stuck! The flight I'd like to take goes through London in about three weeks. I am worried if I fly through London, I may get caught. I am especially suspicious since the cheapest tickets for my route all go through London....

Anyone know what the anticipated volcanic ash situation is likely to be? I am not up to date since most of Western Europe was shut down a month or so ago. I know they have closed or slowed travel since the big shut down, but I don't watch the news enough to stay informed.

Thanks for any help!

:grouphug: Our trip to France was delayed (and shortened) by five days last month because of the volcano, and my September trip to Ireland was canceled because of my travel companions' concerns about the volcano.

I know British airspace and some airports have been closed off and on this month. I believe at the moment they are all open. This site looks like it has some good links to stay up-to-date on the situation.

Good luck!

It's so hard to predict. Last week I was scheduled to fly from Turkey to London and then on to the States on a day when British Airways was scheduled to strike and the ash cloud was going to be at its heaviest.

Thankfully, the strike was averted (temporarily; they're scheduled to strike in earnest starting tomorrow) and the ash cloud threat was shown to be inconsequential.

I do think everyone over there is getting weary of hearing about the ash cloud. Europe and Great Britain lost a lot of money and got a lot of bad publicity last month because of all the hype. I imagine the ash cloud threat will need to be severe to really make an impact in the future.

It's so hard to predict. Last week I was scheduled to fly from Turkey to London and then on to the States on a day when British Airways was scheduled to strike and the ash cloud was going to be at its heaviest.

Thankfully, the strike was averted (temporarily; they're scheduled to strike in earnest starting tomorrow) and the ash cloud threat was shown to be inconsequential.

I do think everyone over there is getting weary of hearing about the ash cloud. Europe and Great Britain lost a lot of money and got a lot of bad publicity last month because of all the hype. I imagine the ash cloud threat will need to be severe to really make an impact in the future.

Rebecca,

We're moving to Turkey this summer! We're actually thinking about driving from our current home in Germany.

Did you make your scheduled flight?

I'm not getting on a plane this summer. British Airways is also subject to strikes at present, just so you know.

Laura

That explains why the through London tickets with British Airways is close to $300 less than the competition.

Thanks!

Thanks to all!

I realize the future is impossible to predict, but that's never stopped predictions before.:D I've decided to play it safe and pay the extra money to stay as far south as possible and avoid London and British Airways.

I appreciate the update from everyone on the current situation. My Mom was stuck visiting me for an extra week when the volcano initially erupted and I've heard that air travel is still iffy in some places.

Anyway, I went with more expensive tickets and travel insurance just in case!

Yes, thank you, all the flights went smoothly! We *loved* Turkey! It's a beautiful place, and the people are all so friendly! And the food is scrumptious -- so fresh and healthy! I would go back again in a heartbeat.

We drove from Istanbul down the western edge of Turkey, then turned inland and went to Antalya. It was a lot of driving, but we never got tired of looking out the windows at the gorgeous farms and gardens the entire way down. You are so lucky to be moving to Turkey!

Thanks to all!

I realize the future is impossible to predict, but that's never stopped predictions before.:D I've decided to play it safe and pay the extra money to stay as far south as possible and avoid London and British Airways.

I appreciate the update from everyone on the current situation. My Mom was stuck visiting me for an extra week when the volcano initially erupted and I've heard that air travel is still iffy in some places.

Anyway, I went with more expensive tickets and travel insurance just in case!

Be careful. Flights all over Europe (Madrid, Amsterdam) have been effected. The ash has by no means only impacted the UK.