Menu

SWB and writing

I am wondering if anyone has used SWB's writing sequence (summarizing, dictation, outlines, writing from outlines) only and have produced a strong writer. I've just finished listening to her plan for junior high on MP3 and it seems so simple. I'm used to junior high students writing reports at that age. So, have you done her simple plan? How is your high schooler's writing? Thanks!

Beth

bump

and here is a link to bethben's thread on the K-8 board then JennW mentioned. There is a lot of talk on the K-8 these days about SWB's new writing lecture audios, but there have been many high school Moms over the past 11 years who have used the WTM writing methods successfully, before these audios came out. We'd love to hear from you! :D

Edited by Colleen in NS

We used SWB's writing suggestions (dictation, summary, outlines, etc) when ds was younger and then her rhetoric level recommendations (Rulebook for Arguments, Oxford Guide). I must say that ds is a good writer. Plus, he can write a paper quickly which I think will help in college. Case in point (which is why I responded to your questions:001_smile:) - he has a paper due this morning at 7:00 comparing the epic hero/Aurthorian (romantic) hero/ tragic hero. He has procrastinated for days (can we say 17yo boy;)) I woke up at 3:30 am and noticed the lights were still on in the den. I got up to investigate, and found him finishing his paper. He can write a quality paper in no time which I attribute it to the rigor of WTM . Put on your ear muffs (to silence the doubting voices) and stick with it-It WILLl pay off!