Menu

Charlotte Mason way of learning and teaching

How difficult is it to start teaching your children to learn the Charlotte Mason way of learning? I have taken my son out of public school about a month ago, I had bought some textbooks and curriculum to catch him up since he was behind (4th Grade) from the public school and not sure if this is the way we should stay especially in the fall. Any advice.

P.S. My son is a slow reader and he doesn't comprehend some things that he reads, how can the Charlotte Mason way of learning help him.....how can I help him?

thanks and looking forward to hearing some ideas.

thanks

Lillian

:001_smile:

I would look for curriculum for next year that uses "living books". Many homeschool curricula are literature based and would fit this category. If he is a slow reader some of these books might be better used as read-alouds at first. Start out slowly having him narrate (tell back) small parts of the story or reading to you.

If you go to Ambleside online, and read some of the articles they have there, it might give you good ideas as well as good ideas of living books.

Yes, I would go to Amblesideonline.com and read and read.

Yes, the Charlotte mason method can really be wonderful. I started there before migrating over to Classical and I migrate back there periodically.

It will help a kid with their reading because you will be reading a lot to them, and they will be reading a lot. Oral narrations - telling back to you what they or you have just read- in their own words- is a central part of CM. I have used it a lot.