Menu

Writing With Ease and First Language Lessons

Guest rathercozy

Guest rathercozy

Hi - I'm new here and had a question about these programs. Are WWE and First Language Lessons to be used together? I had considered using Queen's Language Lessons for the coming year, however, I just learned about WWE (and subsequently First Language Lessons) and am very interested in them. My daughter is 4th grade, but a struggling reader/writer/speller. If these work in tandem, I would likely use FLL4 and jump into WWE where it seems appropriate. (Would that sound right?)

Also, does WWE cover spelling with copywork and dictation or would I need to include a spelling option?

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts!

We use them together. WWE has exercises 4 days a week. FLL is recommended to use 2-3 days a week. So, we use WWE the first 4 days of the week. I look at the 2-3 upcoming lessons in FLL and schedule them so that I'm not doing a lot of overlap with narrations or too much copywork. We always do one lesson from FLL on Fridays, since we don't do WWE on that day. It works out well for us.

I wanted to add that we are in "deep like" with: GWG, WWE and AAS. If you have someone struggling with spelling, I would check out All About Spelling. There are some great threads about it on this board.

Angela

I agree.

My son was using Spelling Workout and just not learning any words. He was a self-taught reader and so really doesn't have phonics at all (mangles names in amazing ways). Due to some research on the boards, we started AAS (All About Spelling) in Feb. We're using Level 1, and we've seen remarkable progress in sounding out words and with phonics.

We're also starting WWE Level 2 this year to get more narration practice/reading comprehension. I've been impressed with it. If you go with WWE, I'd recommend starting with the overview first (see if your library has it). Based on it, we started with Level 2. It'll help with placement. Then all you'll need is the workbook for your level.