Menu

Chemistry

Does anyone have a suggestion for a fun summer chemistry book/program for a 7 year old who LOVES to make concoctions? I was looking at Super Science Concoctions (short and sweet) or Elemental Science (notebooking pages look great). I (and dd) don't mind if it spills over until Christmas :D. I guess I am just looking for something fun, easy to implement, and inexpensive. :bigear:

I would go with SSC. We did this last year and had a blast. My dd loved every bit of it and learned some new things and had others reinforced. She was able to do some of it completely on her own, needed help with other parts.

Edited by Paula in PA

Look at the GEMS website, sorting the teacher's guides by topic, and check out the chemistry for that age group. There's Secret Formulas, which my daughter loved, and Liquid Explorations, to begin with, both of which are big on mixing. The unit on slime, called Oobleck, can be bought as a teacher's guide for which you go out and find the ingredients, or in a kit available on their website for homeschoolers and individuals (I think it's called Slime Science). My daughter adored this and has gone through it about three separate times.

http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/GEMS

Steve Spangler Science and Wild Goose science kits also have small mini-labs for young kids on color mixing, using water-absorbent beads and colorings and test tubes.

Last year, we did the Little Professor chemistry kit. I believe it was Polymers. It was great fun, but I am not sure it was worth the money. I've since found many of the science experiments at Hobby Lobby (snow making, rubber ball maker, flippy fish, etc). Again, it was awesome fun! The dc had a great time and so did I. Everything was easy, well presented and no hassle. It is the first science kit I've found that was super easy. But, again, super pricey (IMHO).

How about the science kits NOEO uses? You could just get the kit. They are also super easy. Each experiment is in a zip lock type bag with every detail clearly explained. It did not have the "Wow factor" that Little Professor had, but it was fun too.

I would go with SSC. We did this last year and had a blast. My dd loved every bit of it and learned some new things and had others reinforced. She was able to do some of it completely on her own, needed help with other parts.

Sounds good. Did you need any items not found in a grocery store or Target?

Last year, we did the Little Professor chemistry kit. I believe it was Polymers. It was great fun, but I am not sure it was worth the money. I've since found many of the science experiments at Hobby Lobby (snow making, rubber ball maker, flippy fish, etc). Again, it was awesome fun! The dc had a great time and so did I. Everything was easy, well presented and no hassle. It is the first science kit I've found that was super easy. But, again, super pricey (IMHO).

How about the science kits NOEO uses? You could just get the kit. They are also super easy. Each experiment is in a zip lock type bag with every detail clearly explained. It did not have the "Wow factor" that Little Professor had, but it was fun too.

Am I correct in assuming it is $90 for an all-inclusive kit (I don't have to buy ANYTHING else)? It looks very complete!

Look at the GEMS website, sorting the teacher's guides by topic, and check out the chemistry for that age group. There's Secret Formulas, which my daughter loved, and Liquid Explorations, to begin with, both of which are big on mixing. The unit on slime, called Oobleck, can be bought as a teacher's guide for which you go out and find the ingredients, or in a kit available on their website for homeschoolers and individuals (I think it's called Slime Science). My daughter adored this and has gone through it about three separate times.

www.lawrencehallofscience.org/GEMS

Steve Spangler Science and Wild Goose science kits also have small mini-labs for young kids on color mixing, using water-absorbent beads and colorings and test tubes.

Do you know where can I find out the prices of the GEMS kits?

Have you looked at the Let's Read and Find Out books? There are some great ones on chemistry topics. Also, have you looked at the books for NOEO? We're piecing together a short (yet hopefully sweet) chemistry curriculum. Doing science the WTM way is not working too great for us (one topic for a whole year). We like to work on something for a couple of months move on and then come back.

Angela

Sounds good. Did you need any items not found in a grocery store or Target?

For the most part, no, it was mostly household type items. My copy has a supplies list near the front of the book. The only thing I think we couldn't find was powdered tempera paint, but I don't remember what we substituted it with.

Do you know where can I find out the prices of the GEMS kits?

It's all on-line. The easiest way to find prices is to go to the page describing in detail the individual teacher's guide (set of lesson plans, activities, book recommendations, etc.) that you are interested in, and the price will be on that page.

http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/GEMS

We LOVED working through Super Science Concoctions this past year. Great experiments with easy explanations. *I* learned a lot too!

We LOVED working through Super Science Concoctions this past year. Great experiments with easy explanations. *I* learned a lot too!

I see you are using Noeo. Did you use Super Science Concoctions in conjunctioin with Chem. I? Could the book be used as a stand-alone and still be as good as using it with the program? I love the look of Noeo, but the price turns me off (and I can't get over Elemental Science's student pages!). Did you get the whole sh'bang? If so, was the kit worth it? Thank you:D