Menu

Please point me to any articles about middle school and girls..

My dd12 is interested in going to school - mostly curious and wanting some friends. If I remember correctly, there are studies showing that middle school is the worst time for kids in school and particularly girls. I think their scores tend to go down and they develop self-esteem issues.

This dd is more persuaded by "objective research" and "professional opinions" than by anything I say. I thought I would dig up some articles and let her read for herself.

Thanks.

These aren't articles, but I still highly suggest them for anyone who is raising girls:

Odd Girl Out by Rachel Simmons

Reviving Ophelia by Mary Pipher

and for anyone raising or working with teens in general, I'm finding this to be very interesting:

Hurt by Chap Clark

I'm a former middle school English teacher and currently work with 8th grade girls at my church. I cannot imagine sending one of my children to school in middle school (jmho). It's a tough time in a child's life already, and the peer pressure/dynamics at that age are brutal. Girls, especially, go through so much during those ages that can truly alter their emotional state for the future in terms of self-worth/image, relationships, and happiness. Of course, every girl is different, and your daughter may be perfectly fine. However, you are the best judge and advocate for her when it comes to this choice. I think it's great that you are wanting to research it before making a decision.

Wishing you the best...

My middle dd was homeschooled until 6th grade--when she started PS. She did not know any of the students before she enrolled.

Other than the 2 week adjustment in learning how to QUICKLY undo her locker combination--she did great!

One of the reasons dd adjusted so well is that she was enrolled in Band. Being a part of the Band program gave dd an 'identity' within the school. It also provided her with an 'instant' support group.

DD was in PS from 6th-9th grade. She came back home in 10th grade due to health-related issues and is now in 11th and is dual enrolled at the local CC.

DD is currently a 'charter member' of the local high school BAND! She can't march or go to any official 'contests' but she attends Band Class as much as she can (her college schedule gets in the way sometimes) and she plays in the concerts and even went on the Band trip this year.

I think that being a 'member of the Band' gave dd the confidence to succeed in middle school... she did not have to worry about 'finding her identity' among the other girls/students.

Middle school girls can be MEAN--but dd was able to avoid most of the negatives of this age group.

These aren't articles, but I still highly suggest them for anyone who is raising girls:

Odd Girl Out by Rachel Simmons

Reviving Ophelia by Mary Pipher

and for anyone raising or working with teens in general, I'm finding this to be very interesting:

Hurt by Chap Clark

I'm a former middle school English teacher and currently work with 8th grade girls at my church. I cannot imagine sending one of my children to school in middle school (jmho). It's a tough time in a child's life already, and the peer pressure/dynamics at that age are brutal. Girls, especially, go through so much during those ages that can truly alter their emotional state for the future in terms of self-worth/image, relationships, and happiness. Of course, every girl is different, and your daughter may be perfectly fine. However, you are the best judge and advocate for her when it comes to this choice. I think it's great that you are wanting to research it before making a decision.

Wishing you the best...

I wanted to mention that I heard Rachel Simmons give a talk, and although I don't have teen daughters, I used to be one, and based on my experiences, I can say that Rachel really hit the nail on the head. She was really quite wonderful. I highly recommend Odd Girl Out. I believe she has another book out now, too.