Menu

How many credits would you give this on your transcript

I believe I asked this question before but I can't seem to find it :confused:

Anyways, next year for English, I will be taking American Literature and Grammar at separate times.

I looked at the scope and sequence for 11th grade English and no where does it mention Grammar. It does however mention American Literature and composition, which I will be doing.

Should my English credit count as 1.5 or just 1? I'll be doing Grammar 5 days a week for about 30 minutes, because I desperately need it.

I'll be using Harvey's Revised English Grammar if that matters at all. I don't plan on finishing the book in one year, maybe I'll finish it half way through Senior year, maybe I'll have to do it all of Senior year. But should I have 1.5 English credits, or just 1.

Also, if it does take me to the end of senior year and I decide to give myself 1.5 credits this year English, should I also give 1.5 for English in Senior year?

Thanks.

When I was in high school, grammar and literature classes were not combined. I took one literature class each semester and another class which taught either grammar or composition. The grammar course was a prerequisite for the writing courses. Each course earned its own credit.

I think you could earn 1/4 credit if you covered 1/4 of the book in a semester, 1/2 credit if you covered 1/2. I wouldn't assign credit for less than 1/4.

Schools in our area combine literature, grammar, writing into 1 class and count it as 1 credit. A private school near us counts the combination of the above as 1 English credit -- and their English class is 90 minutes long (45 minutes to focus on grammar/writing, and 45 minutes to focus on the lit.). We also combine our lit., grammar, and writing under the umbrella of English and count it as 1 credit.

While not familiar with the grammar program you will be using, I am familiar with the LLATL program you'll be using for literature. It is typically counted as a 1 semester course, as it is on the "lite" side as far as daily work. I would not count the hours needed to read the literature as part of "class time", as most schools do not -- it is assumed that you read the literature on your own time as "homework", and the daily class time is spent on discussion of the literature or working with a specific passage; literary analysis; writing instruction; grammar instruction; etc. So a daily schedule of 30 minutes of grammar and 30 minutes for LLATL and writing works out nicely to a 1 credit English course.

Just how we would count credit here. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.