Menu

8th grade Literature

blueberry

Hi, I just joined after finding some interesting material on here from google. My daughter is going to be an 8th grader and we are looking for a really good secular literature program for her. I've checked out the Lightning lit, Oak Meadow, Mosdos Literature, Laurel Tree's online classes and a couple others. They look excellent, but we are looking for a mostly novel based course that reads the hard novels like Dickens (we read Great Expectations and are looking for a good course to apply it to), which seems hard to find. Mosdos Literature looks perhaps the best but it is almost entirely focused on short stories and poetry. Does anyone know of any lit programs (secular) that read the big novels? Thanks very much!

I pre-read all of the books, short stories, and poems, use literature guides liberally, and we discuss. My ds writes summaries of many of the novels he reads, but not all of them. He's just finishing seventh grade. Have you looked at TWTM's eighth grade reading list? If you're very interested, I can tell you which books I've used, for my first eighth grader, and which I plan to use for my rising eighth grader.

Thanks everyone, I do have the British lit for Excellence in Literature. The reading list is the type of thing I'm looking for, but at this phase I think she needs a little more guidance than it gives...little more lesson structure and guidance, if that makes sense?

Catherine, I would be interested. Does the TWTM give curriculum suggestions, or just book lists? Thanks again!

It also gives some good guidance, IMO, on teaching these works. Learning how to discuss literature is a challenge, but worth pursuing. For my kids, discussion is far preferable to simply writing about a work, or answering written questions about it.