Menu

Do I have to history with my younger kids???

I have been thinking about school next year, and I really don't want to do the full blown history (TOG) with my younger two girls. What I really want to do with them is read a lot of rich literature, like Beatrix Potter, James Herriot, etc...

Even though I want to do this now, I find that after working with my older two, then my younger two, I just don't have the energy or the time to add this in. She isn't grasping a lot of it anyhow. (Were on the Revolutionary War right now).

My thoughts are that we will be starting the history cycle over in two school years anyhow, I could start her and my other daughter then with their older sisters. She would be 4th grade then, and my youngest daughter would be 2nd grade.

Would it be ok to do something like this? Some of the books will of course have historical facts in them, but I don't want to read these books in a systematic way. I just want to pick and choose. Maybe do a few progeny press guides along the way. What do you all think?

Michelle

is the right way to go. My ds6 had NO interest in History this year (Ancients). He really had no interest in anything. :glare: Really, history w/ the little ones is more exposure than for retention. They might retain some key facts on which to "hang" later information, but really it's just exposure. By reading good books, some historical fiction (for younger ones), maybe even doing a litte something like FIAR (which covers some geography and some history in the way you described...not in a continuum, but rather just bits and pieces) would be perfect! Have fun with them. Don't stress. I'm making a mental note to take my own advice, :)

I'd give your 7 yo a stack of COFA's (Childhood of Famous Americans) to read. She's at a great age to enjoy them and will take in the history "by osmosis." For your 5 yo, just reading the D'Aulaire books and other things together would be lovely. I certainly wouldn't stress over it, not with a 5 yo. I'd do SOMETHING with the 7 yo, but it doesn't have to be heavy, just something.

Since you're feeling tired and having a hard time getting to those read alouds, how about books on tape/cd?

Since you're feeling tired and having a hard time getting to those read alouds, how about books on tape/cd?

:iagree: I just posted on another thread that all I've been doing with ds for history the past two years has been handing him the SOTW cd's for bedtime listening. We occasionally tie in corresponding books in the time period he is listening too. A couple of times we have done actual narrations and supplemental readings from one of the Usborne history encyclopedias but we never get far with that. There are so many other books that I want to read, that are not history related, and those are what we've been focusing on for literature. I will probably take a similar approach with my youngest.

Next year he will be in 4th grade and I think it is time for us to step it up with a more concentrated history study. Now if I could just decide between TOG and SL, we'd been doing great.:tongue_smilie:

ETA: Right now we are also doing little unit studies I found on line for state history and elections, but it is not something I consider a core part of our day. (In fact I forgot we were even doing it until I saw my signature.) More like something we get to when we sail through an easy day and find extra time.