Menu

I need LCC advice!

I am totally sold on the LCC method...it makes a lot of sense and is how I want to structure our day so we are slowly making the switch. We are halfway through LCII and I am confident in using Latin to teach grammar as well. My question is this: do any of you doing LCC keep a separate spelling program? Or do you just have your kids spell the Latin words and that is it?

We have struggled with spelling all along. My ds is a fabulous reader and I thought that would translate to his spelling but it didn't. We tried a few different programs and nothing was working. This year we went with Phonetic Zoo Spelling from the folks at IEW and suddenly he is learning to spell!

Now do I attribute this sudden leap in skill to PZ? Or to his growing maturity? Or to his growing reading abilities? All three?

And if it is due to PZ alone, will doing only Latin for spelling and giving up PZ be a good idea? I like the multum non multa idea and want to limit the number of subjects we do but do them deeply so I don't want to keep an additional spelling program around just for the heck of it.

OK, rant over. Any ideas?

I tell people that spelling needs to be handled on an individual basis. Some children need explicit, systematic instruction, and some don't. Also, I don't recommend teaching spelling through Latin per se, but rather through copywork. Certainly Latin can help with spelling English words of Latin origin, but copywork is the more direct method. HTH!

There are several lower priority subjects that I don't want to give 'prime' school time or effort to, but don't want to ignore completely. What I do is try to keep easy-to-use resources on hand that the kids can use on their own, either during free time, on long car drives, or on those days when my planning goes to heck.

Things like software for various subjects, Which Way USA puzzle books for geography, games, books, etc.

I will say that my 4th grader has been reading constantly and fluently for YEARS, and it has not improved her spelling skills in the least. Poor child. If we had a spelling program that seemed to be working well, I'd probably find a way to continue using it (especially if it can be done independently, and without a huge time investment). So I'd probably keep P Zoo on hand, and have him use it on his own or during light periods (summer time, holidays weeks with a light schedule, etc).

Which reminds me, I must go look at my "software based spelling?" thread!