Menu

Trying to figure it all out

Murmer

So even though my babies are young I am trying to figure out my educational philosophy and curriculum ideas. From what I have read here miquon math fits my beliefs about math but I am wondering what a good supplement would be that is not too drill or rote, would right start be a good option for starting pre k.

I am a ps reading teacher so I feel confident in being able to teach that, with word their way phonics starting pre k.

I am also planning on using sotw for history but I am wondering if there are other social studies ideas I should be addressing and what to use for that.

I also have no idea about a good science program and I am not a science person so I would need a good teachers guide for that.

Is there anything I am leaving out? I am hoping to use the next year to study more and save up the money/find used materials to start with my dd when she turns 4.

Any thoughts?

I'm just a little ahead of you on the process, although my daughter is about to be five. Overwhelmed is the only way to describe it. I think I've finally hashed out the details but there are so many options!

Right now I'm leaning towards A Beka for math just because I'm a former employee of ABB and I'm comfortable with the format. Not sure what you are looking for. ABB is heavy on drill and review.

You might want to get your hands on a copy of The Well Trained Mind and look through the listed recommendations. You have lots and lots of time before you'll need to implement much of that, so it might be nice to stew in the ideas for a while.

For science, I highly recommend Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. It's more than a great science program for young children; it's a wonderful resource that helps teach parents how to teach science as a part of day-to-day living.

Regarding Miquon Math, I personally don't think you need to supplement it with anything. I know a lot of people around here use two (or more!) math programs, but it's not something you have to do. In fact, I think in the younger years the best way to approach math is by playing games and taking a living math approach.

Have fun researching and planning! It's such an exciting journey. :D

Honestly, I'd caution you against buying much at the age your kids are. Even if you still want to use what you choose now 2 years later, there may be updated versions that you would prefer. You also really can't get a good grasp on your children at this point and how they learn. Not that everything needs to be tailored to that, but I chose some curriculum based on my kids' personalities/work habits when all else was equal...

Enjoy the "hunt" for now... it's really fun! The more you research the more you'll be able to determine your style. :D

You might want to get your hands on a copy of The Well Trained Mind and look through the listed recommendations. You have lots and lots of time before you'll need to implement much of that, so it might be nice to stew in the ideas for a while.

I agree with this wholeheartedly! The WTM recommendations for K are actually simple if you live teaching. My dd helps me cook, bake, clean, etc., and normally does some sort of "school" each day, but we don't do everything daily. We read a lot, but other than that, things are mostly taken on a how ti comes basis. For example, today we were baking cookies, so we learned about measuring. When we speaks and uses improper grammar or pronunciation, I simply correct her. Her science for now is growing some plants with her daddy, and reading books. and whatever daily science she may encounter such as insects, birds, etc.

We don't want to overwhelm her or become one of those parents that are pushing too hard. School will get serious soon enough!

When I started 11 years ago, I ordered every catalog I could get my hands on and started looking for online reviews and talking to people, just like you are. I am sure you will make great choices for your babies! :)

I also agree with her. As a matter of fact, read The Well Trained Mind twice. Then I would recommend also reading Cathy Duffy's 100 Top picks for Curriculum. And because you dont have to start anything formal at their ages, I would also browse any local homeschool stores to touch, sit, and read through what you think you might like. After going through those two books...Hope this info helps!

Ruth Beechick also has some good, enlightening reads.

As a former preschool teacher and a BTDT hs mom, I can tell you with great assurance that young children learn best while having fun and playing. Pre-K & K do not need to be overly academic. Lots of hands-on, exploration type stuff is great for this age. Read a lot of books on a variety of subjects.

If you've been on these boards very long, I'm sure you've seen my list of favorites, but here goes anyway:

File Folder games (do a google search)

Treasure Boxes (ziploc-type plastic tubs containing items that can be counted, sorted, patterned...we used buttons, colored paper clips, tiles, links, etc...and a muffin tin/veggie tray to sort items into)

Dr. Seuss' ABC and the Living Books cd rom that goes with it (great for learning letters, letter sounds, rhythm...)

Kids Create!

Scribble Cookies

Mudworks

Sonlight Reading lists (including SS and Science)

Tangrams (and activities)

Pattern Blocks (and activities)

Unifix Cubes

Reader Rabbit cd rom games

I remember my ds being about 2-3 and getting all gung-ho about those curriculum catalogs and all that cool stuff out there that I couldn't wait to start using...and I tried to use a bunch of it! Poor ds' eyes glazed over more than once. :lol: Yes, I am a self-confessed curriculum junkie...but I'm getting better!

It's good that you're researching now. You'll have a better handle on things when the time comes. Just try to avoid the curriculum addiction. :willy_nilly: You don't need three different LA programs...trust me!

There's lots of great advice on these boards. You're in good company!

I just got WTM (which brought me here) but haven't read the whole thing other than intro and preschool. I look forward to really getting in to it the summer when I am no longer working.

I LOVE the science book that melanie recommended!

For science, I highly recommend Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. It's more than a great science program for young children; it's a wonderful resource that helps teach parents how to teach science as a part of day-to-day living.

Regarding Miquon Math, I personally don't think you need to supplement it with anything. I know a lot of people around here use two (or more!) math programs, but it's not something you have to do. In fact, I think in the younger years the best way to approach math is by playing games and taking a living math approach.

Have fun researching and planning! It's such an exciting journey. :D

Right now I would highly suggest that you read TWTM and then work on your own education in areas that you are weak. If you want to teach Latin later, learn Latin now. If science is tough for you start reading some science stuff and get some basic knowledge.

Unless you are going to use the curriculum and books for your own education there is no point in getting things years in advance. Editions will change, your kids will change, and you never can tell what you will really want three year ahead.

I agree with this wholeheartedly! The WTM recommendations for K are actually simple if you live teaching. My dd helps me cook, bake, clean, etc., and normally does some sort of "school" each day, but we don't do everything daily. We read a lot, but other than that, things are mostly taken on a how ti comes basis. For example, today we were baking cookies, so we learned about measuring. When we speaks and uses improper grammar or pronunciation, I simply correct her. Her science for now is growing some plants with her daddy, and reading books. and whatever daily science she may encounter such as insects, birds, etc.

We don't want to overwhelm her or become one of those parents that are pushing too hard. School will get serious soon enough!

When I started 11 years ago, I ordered every catalog I could get my hands on and started looking for online reviews and talking to people, just like you are. I am sure you will make great choices for your babies! :)

So part of my dilemma is that when dd was 2 her language skills were lacking so we had her evaluated. It was determined she did not need services (turned out to be a result of an undiagnosed milk allergy) but the recommendations we got were to put her in preschool because she is not good at sitting and focusing. I do not want her in preschool so instead have been mommy schooling with about 15 mins of "learning" time in addition to reading times. She will be 3 this school year and I am planning on a more focused circle time plus 1 or 2 center type activities. Then I plan on doing more for pre-k the next year 2011.

Honestly, I'd caution you against buying much at the age your kids are. Even if you still want to use what you choose now 2 years later, there may be updated versions that you would prefer. You also really can't get a good grasp on your children at this point and how they learn. Not that everything needs to be tailored to that, but I chose some curriculum based on my kids' personalities/work habits when all else was equal...

Enjoy the "hunt" for now... it's really fun! The more you research the more you'll be able to determine your style. :D

So part of my dilemma is that when dd was 2 her language skills were lacking so we had her evaluated. It was determined she did not need services (turned out to be a result of an undiagnosed milk allergy) but the recommendations we got were to put her in preschool because she is not good at sitting and focusing. I do not want her in preschool so instead have been mommy schooling with about 15 mins of "learning" time in addition to reading times. She will be 3 this school year and I am planning on a more focused circle time plus 1 or 2 center type activities. Then I plan on doing more for pre-k the next year 2011.

Depending on where you live, there may be lots of community classes/activities that you can take advantage of, as well. Many libraries have free classes. I take my 2yo to gym class at our local park district not for the activity but for the structure. I find it hard to get him to participate in structured activities at home, because he doesn't understand why he gets to do what he wants most of the time but at seemingly random times, he as to sit and do X and Y. So he goes to library storytimes and to gym class to get this sort of structure.