Menu

Has anyone used a heart rate monitor watch?

I've been looking at Amazon & various websites -- and I'm a bit confused. Lots of these seem to require chest straps, but some seem to be just watch-like with no chest straps. Do both types work? Obviously, the models without chest straps seem easier to use. What would I be missing with no chest strap?

BTW, this would be a present for soon to be 10 yr old ds, if that makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated -- I hadn't even heard of these things until a day ago!

I have one and it came with two pieces: chest strap and watch. The chest strap records the heart rate and the watch shows the heart rate. The watch part is also a normal watch and has a stop watch too.

When I work out at the health club I don't need the watch because the eliptical reads the chest strap and the heart rate shows on the machine.

I didn't know they made heart monitors that were watches only. I guess they would read the pulse in your wrist somehow.

I have tried both the Mio, which is a watch-only type, and a Nike Imara with chest strap. There is no comparison.

This was several years ago, so I don't remember exactly what I disliked about the Mio, but I returned it soon after purchase. I don't think it was that accurate, and might not have provided a continuous reading (maybe having to push buttons to take a reading, but don't recall).

I love, love, love my Imara. It gives a continuous heart-rate count, and you can set a range that you want your heart rate to stay within, so it will flash LO and HIGH when you are out of your range (usually based on age and weight). It also keeps track of the amount of time you spent in you range, as well as above and below.

HTH,

Thank you for all the replies -- the non-strap models I was looking at were by Sportline. I looked at the Mios too, but they were pretty large. The watch ones work by having you put the (sweaty or moist) finger of the opposite hand on the metal part of the watch, making a circuit. The heart rate reading can take 8-10 seconds to appear -- it is not a continuous reading, and there are no high/low alarms -- and you do have to slow down to check it. But it does have a lot of great timer and chronograph features.

I am having a lot of trouble picturing ds age 10 enjoying the sensation of a strap around his chest. And the heart rate part is more to make him aware of what heart rate is (and work on a Cub Scout award), so I will probably go with the wrist one.

If I get one myself, it does sound as though the chest strap is the way to go.

Thanks again!!

Thank you for all the replies -- the non-strap models I was looking at were by Sportline. I looked at the Mios too, but they were pretty large. The watch ones work by having you put the (sweaty or moist) finger of the opposite hand on the metal part of the watch, making a circuit. The heart rate reading can take 8-10 seconds to appear -- it is not a continuous reading, and there are no high/low alarms -- and you do have to slow down to check it. But it does have a lot of great timer and chronograph features.

I am having a lot of trouble picturing ds age 10 enjoying the sensation of a strap around his chest. And the heart rate part is more to make him aware of what heart rate is (and work on a Cub Scout award), so I will probably go with the wrist one.

If I get one myself, it does sound as though the chest strap is the way to go.

Thanks again!!

Dh got me a Reebok Fitwatch, and I really like it. You have to depress two buttons on the face of the watch, and it takes your pulse. I use it on the treadmill while running, and it's easy enough to do without losing pace.

ETA: It looks like it's now sold under the Bowflex brand.

Edited by JudoMom