Menu

Could you help me fill in the holes in my 5th grade plans?

Greta

I've got most of my plans finalized for next year, so that I can start gradually ordering curriculum as the money becomes available. But there are a few things I'm still looking for:

A Roots-Based Vocabulary Program

I don't want to spend oodles of time on this since we're already learning Latin, but I do want something that will tie the Latin words she's learning to English, and throw in some Greek roots as well. Something we could do in just a few minutes a day. What do you think of English from the Roots Up, or Vocabulary from Classical Roots? Others?

A Study Guide for A Midsummer Night's Dream

There are so many of these I hardly know where to begin! I just want something that will help us understand the play better. I don't need too many bells and whistles, or loads of extra activities. Just something to make sure we're getting it! :)

State Study

I'd like something simple to learn about a different state each week. Doesn't have to be too in-depth, just something my dd could do on her own would be preferred. This isn't the core of our Geography, more of a supplement.

Thanks for reading this, and thanks in advance for any help!

ETA: I just read what I wrote, and it sounds like I'm looking for the simplest, "lazy homeschooler" curriculum out there! And I guess it's true!!! :D But just so you don't think I'm a total slacker, here are the rest of my plans. Let me know if there's something missing that I haven't thought of.

MATH - MEP as core, Singapore's Challenging Word Problems as supplement

LATIN - Continue with Latin Prep and add Lingua Latina

CLASSICAL STUDIES - Famous Men of Greece with the Memoria Press study guide

AMERICAN HISTORY - This Country of Ours

ENGLISH - Meaningful Composition, Daily Grams, and whatever vocabulary I decide on

LITERATURE - The Hobbit, A Midsummer Night's Dream, King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table with study guides

SCIENCE - Chemistry units from TOPScience plus plenty of library books

GEOGRAPHY - Maps-Globes-Graphs and whatever state study I can find

ART - Hooked on Drawing and Picture Study

MUSIC - Well, that's another hole in my curriculum, but I'm not even looking to fill it at this time. Maybe next year!

Edited by GretaLynne

For A Midsummer Night's Dream I'm using the free glencoe lit guide. I also have the Oxford school version, which has great notes and commentary. I also plan on buying an audio or dvd version so we can listen to it performed.

I notice Memoria press has a state study workbook, it's brand new.

Cool! Thanks so much! I'd heard of the Glencoe guides before, but I didn't realize they were free! That definitely helps. :001_smile:

We use these books for Shakespeare studies:

Side by Sides by Prestwick House, Inc.

We are currently using Twelfth Night but also have several others plus Canterbury Tales.

They have Shakespeare's original text on the left side of the page and the corresponding modern rendering on the right.

For A Midsummer Night's Dream I'm using the free glencoe lit guide. I also have the Oxford school version, which has great notes and commentary. I also plan on buying an audio or dvd version so we can listen to it performed.

I notice Memoria press has a state study workbook, it's brand new.

:iagree: I also immediately thought of the new Memoria Press State Study, which I'm tucking away in my memory bank for a future year :)