Menu

spelling rec for great, natural speller?

I am looking for a spelling program/book for a second grader who is a fantastic reader and speller. I need something that he can work on on his own while I do AAS with a remedial 4th grader. I have spellingworkoutB wich he lookde at today and said was too easy. I think C or D might be a better fit but I don't really love that series of workbooks. I've only see A and B but it doesn't seem as step-by-step or logical as I would like. But maybe it's fine for DS2 (DS1 really needs to have patterns laid out for him--AAS seems like a good fit.)

TIA

I would not use a spelling curriculum with a child who can spell naturally. If he has no problem with spelling, it is just needless busy work. If you really need something for him to do while you do spelling with your other child, perhaps a vocabulary curriculum would be better...something like Wordly Wise...but if you think he does need a spelling program, Rod and Staff is good and can be done independently. Their 2nd grade spelling is very easy so the third grade book would probably be a better fit.

Susan in TX

Guest Dulcimeramy
I would not use a spelling curriculum with a child who can spell naturally. If he has no problem with spelling, it is just needless busy work. If you really need something for him to do while you do spelling with your other child, perhaps a vocabulary curriculum would be better...something like Wordly Wise...but if you think he does need a spelling program, Rod and Staff is good and can be done independently. Their 2nd grade spelling is very easy so the third grade book would probably be a better fit.

Susan in TX

For a natural speller, I prefer to simply use dictation! :001_smile:

along with some of the others NOTHING.

it is something that would be redundant.

I have a natural speller, we never really did spelling. And one tester person we had said find other things to do to fill his time if needed

Have you considered Spelling Power? I love this program because children only have to practice words they don't know. It only takes 5 minutes per day to quizz your child on new words. Then they practice the ones they don't know on their own. We only spend 10-15 minutes per day on spelling. My dd is a natural speller and terrific reader, so this is a good program for her. She's progressed from Level C which is considered 2nd grade to almost finishing Level E which is the end of 5th grade in less than one school year. This program can be used from age 8 to adult (though I will start it with my 7 yr. old in the fall because she too is a very good speller).