Menu

ANYBODY using TWTM middle school level history ...

Luanne

What all are you having your student do for this subject? Like I mentioned in my other post ... I know about the outlining of the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, but can't quite figure out what else to have her do.

We do SOTW.

You can think I'm crazy if you want, but we do. It works really well for us and keeps all my kids on the same topic.

We read SOTW then discuss it all together, read books/literature (different books depending on age) and maybe have some more discussion. Then the older ones do outlining, essays and narration while the younger ones do narration. We try to do a craft or lapbook. Older DC do memorization, maybe some philosophy/government/ethics/religion depending on the particular topic.

We vary from week to week so I've got no firm answer,

What all are you having your student do for this subject? Like I mentioned in my other post ... I know about the outlining of the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, but can't quite figure out what else to have her do.

We tried this last year. She would read 2 or 3 sections, outline one. We'd do some sort of project, she'd read a book and then she would make a notebook page. However, it was just too much for me. We're trying History Odyssey right now.

I gather books from various lists, including Sonlight in particular. I work out what I want to cover. We read our spine, they read other books related.

I then literally think up something for them to outline, either KHE, or another book, or sometimes I will even print off a page or two from the internet on a related topic, or that is another source of the same topic. And then the next day, I give them a choice of one of a couple of topics to do a research report on.

So Tuesdays, we read history together.

Wednesdays, they outline something- not necessarily what we read the day before.

Thursdays they do some sort of report.

And there are ongoing read alouds and independently read books following the year's theme, being read all the time.

I do vary it...a week ago I skipped the report and they did an art project instead. I might decide to skip the outlining and have them outline for literature or Science instead one week, or not at all, and have them do two reports, or a piece of significant copywork, or just skip it because it feels like time to focus on something else.

I get bored easily. I try to be basically consistent, and have them learn the skills, but I also like to vary things, to keep them interesting.

Along with having ds doing outlining (and summaries on subtopics that come up), I'll have him keep a timeline going on the wall - filling in dates and people as he reads. Also, some kind of mapwork - though I haven't looked into what maps yet. But something where he is interacting with maps that go with the history topic. I think these activities will help to tie things together as we study.

We do SOTW.

You can think I'm crazy if you want, but we do. It works really well for us and keeps all my kids on the same topic.

We read SOTW then discuss it all together, read books/literature (different books depending on age) and maybe have some more discussion. Then the older ones do outlining, essays and narration while the younger ones do narration.

We being SOTW next week with ages: 12, 11, 9, and 6 and will be doing just as Arwen described. So I'm in the crazy camp too, I guess.

;)

esp. if this is for your older daughter, I would have her outline (or take notes) on KHE, then let her choose a person or an event or a place she's like to know more about and go to the library and see what's there. If she chooses some of the upper-elem/middle-school-ish level books, she could probably do two, maybe three, books per week (though some weeks she might not find that many).

I would also be sure to read some historical fiction - even if that meant some of the other reading didn't get done. And, I do also think she'd enjoy SOTW (I do!).

hth,

Rhonda

We read the KHE & use the text for background information, but after failed attempts by my eldest to outline the text years ago, I knew to use something else for middle dc this year. I chose Pictureque Tales of Progress because we already had the complete set on the shelf and The World in Ancient Times series. Like Peela, I also use online articles and websites along with information from History Odyssey, and a World Literature textbook.

Day 1:

Read & discuss selection(s) together from OM6 ,PToP or TAxW & KHE--I use TWEM as a guide for our discussions

15 minute break

Outline or take notes on 2-4 pages from readings/lecture

Read-a-lound of fictional works--again using TWEM as discussion guide

Day 2:

Writing project: OM6 assignment or reconstruction of outline/notes into narrative or compose a creative writing piece

Assigned reading--literature of culture

Draw map & illustration for writing project

Add to timeline book

We did/do it and love it. Read the history list (which is GREAT). Read Kingfisher and outline and pick something to write a report on or copy a map each week. Keep a timeline (but pick just 3 things to put on it each week, otherwise it will be overwhelming). Pick something to try, like making a flint arrowhead or Egyptian bread or playing 9 mens morris occasionally. Great fun!