Menu

How am I doing for 3rd grade?

Mandy4

Will you all take a look at my tentative plan for 3rd. Please tell me where I am lacking or could do better. You won't hurt my feelings! :001_smile: This is my first year putting it together myself.

Math - CLE 300 and Math Mammoth

Science - Apologia Astronomy

History - ?

Literature - Progeny Press guides ( do I need something more here)

Composition - WWE and Writing Strands

Grammar and handwriting - CLE 300

Spelling - Spelling Wisdom and Building Spelling Skills

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Well... Honestly your list would overwhelm my DS (who will be a 3rd grader). It would be far more LA's (i.e. composition, grammar, handwriting, spelling) than he could tolerate. He doesn't see the point of LA for LA's sake and fights tooth and nail, but will read or be read to endlessly so we use a lot of books to correspond with SOTW and Science. I also use Sonlight's book lists. Anyway... We will use:

Math-CLE300

Science-per WTM guidelines as well as a health unit

History-SOTW2 with AG as well as an overview of US History through the Civil War

LAs- finish CLE200 and move through CLE300. Narrations and copywork with SOTW. Journaling and summaries per WTM.

Latin- Songschool Latin

Music- piano lesson, composer studies

Art- per WTM guidelines

I am not to familiar with most of what you are using, but here are my plans

BIBLE

Who is God from Apologia

MATH

Singapore 3A and 3B

Horizons 3A and 3B

ENGLISH

Rod and Staff 3

Didax Editing

Daily Paragraph editing

Looks like I am forgettin something in english....

HANDWRITING

A Reason for Handwriting T

READING

Developing Better Reading

Classic Worktexts 3

Shakespeare Worktexts 3

SPELLING/VOCABULARY

Spelling Power

Wordly Wise 3

Vocabulary Development through Dictionary Skills

HISTORY

SOTW 2

BJU Heritage Studies 3&4

Homeschool Ponies

SCIENCE

Apologia Zoology 1 and 2

HEALTH/GEOGRAPHY

Health (tues and thurs) Apologia Anatomy and Physiology

Geography (M,W,F) Trail Guides to World Geography

OH And LFC-- I forgot that :)

Apologia Astronomy might be hard to stretch out for the whole year, you might want to add one of their other science books as well, though Zoology 3 is quite a bit bigger so maybe not that one!

Check out the classic worktexts for reading. I have the link in my first post. We love those!

Looks great to me Mandy :)

Have you been doing Writing Strands all along, or is it new for you this year? I'm asking, because we started it this year, but ds wasn't really ready for it until the second half of 3rd :D

No, this will be our first year. My daughter doesn't like to write, so we probably wouldn't have had much success if we had used any writing program up to this point. Do you like it so far?

No, this will be our first year. My daughter doesn't like to write, so we probably wouldn't have had much success if we had used any writing program up to this point. Do you like it so far?

Well, Writing with Ease saves them from having to come up with things to write and it has built up ds' endurance for writing. He's taking WS slowly and is really enjoying the language and jokes. WS3 is meant to be used by the student alone and they have a really nice way of explaining that to the student too.

Ds is enjoying it, but he owes much of that to WWE helping him learn to narrate, keep the words in his head, and of course, write for longer than two second at a time :)

Will you all take a look at my tentative plan for 3rd. Please tell me where I am lacking or could do better. You won't hurt my feelings! :001_smile: This is my first year putting it together myself.

Math - CLE 300 and Math Mammoth

History - ?

Composition - WWE and Writing Strands

Grammar and handwriting - CLE 300

Spelling - Spelling Wisdom and Building Spelling Skills

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Just to add to what others have said, for LA I would do either 1) WWE, CLE 300 and Building Spelling Skills OR 2) Writing Strands, CLE 300, and Spelling Wisdom.

Doing Spelling Wisdom on top of everything else would be redundant, I think, since WWE includes dictation, and Building Spelling Skills would cover Spelling. I assume you're planning on skipping the Spelling in CLE?

Like Karen, I'm not planning on doing any scheduled Lit stuff besides discussing and using oral and written narration for our books scheduled.

What are your thoughts on history?

It looks like you've done a great job covering all of your bases! Now, if only I could see my own schedule with an objective eye, I might be able to simplify our 3rd grade schedule for next year! :tongue_smilie:

Just to add to what others have said, for LA I would do either 1) WWE, CLE 300 and Building Spelling Skills OR 2) Writing Strands, CLE 300, and Spelling Wisdom.

Doing Spelling Wisdom on top of everything else would be redundant, I think, since WWE includes dictation, and Building Spelling Skills would cover Spelling. I assume you're planning on skipping the Spelling in CLE?

Thank you!!! LA is an area I'm really struggling to put together. I don't want to be redundant, but wasn't exactly sure what would work nicely together to cover all my bases. I like option #1.

What are your thoughts on history?

Thinking of MOH to combine 3rd and 8th, but not sure it will work due to the 8th being to old to complete the 4yr cycle.

Have you seen the Journals that are available for Apologia Astronomy? We used them at our co-op and loved them.

Yes! I haven't used it, but I looked through it when it came and really liked what I saw. I think my dd will love it too. Thanks!!