Menu

for those that use/used rightstart math

mlktwins

For those who used or are using Rightstart Math, what kit did you buy to get started? I will be teaching twins -- one who should probably start at Level A and one who could start at Level B. I think I'm going to start both at Level A (I don't want to miss anything) and just progress them as they are ready -- even if it means letting one move forward faster than the other.

I'm thinking I should start with one of the kits (starter or deluxe) for level B and purchase the level A books. I know I need a second abacus. The Deluxe kit also includes the Math Card Games book. I think I might want that.

I'm also wondering if I need to buy the appendices (the pre-printed ones) for Levels A and B or are they included in the workbooks already?

I'm heading to a homeschool convention in June and will be able to see the everything in person. I just want a good idea of what I want to buy before I go.

Thanks so much!

I would probably buy the A starter kid and the appendices (they are cheap and it is nice to have even though you could copy them from the book).

You may not like RS and you don't want to be stuck with 2 levels. There is plenty of material in A to last your kindergartners quite a while.

Unless one is bored with RSA, I would try and keep them together. It is teacher intensive already without having to teach 2 levels a day.

I did the A kit in case it didn't work for us. I only have one abacus which, so far, has worked fine with my twin boys because I prefer to do math one at a time with them anyway. One is more math inclined than the other but I'm in no rush--I want it solid and so I keep them at the same spot. That's easier for me but I still teach it individually so I can tailor the speed, amount of games, etc. to the child.

After doing a lot of research on what was the best Rightstart deal just recently, I found the best way to go was to buy the Level A starter kit and then buy any extras you want generic on Rainbow Resource.

For example, you could get an extra AL Abacus that sells on the Rightstart website for $20 for $9.95 on Rainbow Resource. Here's the link---

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Abacus%2C+Side-to-side%2C+Blue+and+Yellow/004083/1273447675-1088827

I also got the Math Balance (again, the same one as on the Rightstart website) for $15.50 instead of $20.

If you decide that Level B will work better, you can always pick up the lesson book on eBay for cheap. I got mine for $25 plus S&H vs. $65 new.

I only have one child, we started with the level A starter kit (the deluxe is overkill, IMO) and I bought the appendices. It was worth it to me to have everything already printed on cardstock instead of having to go make copies, because math would never have gotten done otherwise. You really don't need the games book until level C, because all the games needed are included in the TMs for levels A & B.

We're just finishing up with Level A, and we've done fine with the starter kit without buying an extra set of appendecies. Without having a photocopier on hand though, I certainly wouldn't have been happy to do without them!

I'd say don't bump up your purchase at this point to get the math games book. There are games already in the lesson plans that are completely sufficient at this level.

In your shoes, even if you could get away with starting one in level B, I'd hold off and do A with both. It really does cover sufficient for K, (and more) and it's fun. And for a child who whizzes through it, with a bit of imagination, there are ways you could make some of the activities more challanging.

I would buy the appendices. They are listed in the back of the lesson books, but IMHO, the time & cost it takes to copy all of those pages outweigh the small cost of the pages already printed for you.

I too bought an extra abacus for when I teach our twins. If you start with Level A, then I would not buy the math games book yet.

I would start with level A definitely. I started with Level A and will do so again for our twins next year. You can just breeze through Level A if it comes easily to one or both of your children. When I was first purchasing RS, I deliberated whether or not to buy Level A or B. (Level B to save on cost.) I choose A and I'm so glad that I did. Level A was a good way to ease into RS. Level B accelerates very quickly.

I think one of our twins will move faster than the other, but I'm going to try teaching them together and see how that works. I want to save on time as much as possible because we have four children (so far;)) and RS is already time intensive. We'll have three (two at the same level and one at a higher level) doing RS next year.

GL in your decision!

Thanks ladies! You convinced me to start with Rightstart A and I'm going to get the starter kit and the appendices. We are getting ready to move so it will be nice to have the appendices already printed for me :-).

Mendy,

You don't need the Games book either. All the games that are recommended are in the manual. Then with Level C the games book is part of the upgrade from level B, and most of the games refer to the game book instead of listing the instructions in the manual.

I agree with just starting with level A. If one child is more advanced in math than the other you can move them more quickly through the program.

BTW with my ds who was 5 and wiggly I broke the lessons down into smaller pieces. I did the warm ups on day 1, the lesson on day 2 and then any games listed and worksheets on separate day after that. While he loved math he just didn't sit well and focus for that long. Now he does a whole lesson in a day, and is doing the 9 digit addition in level B. Yea!

Heather

Heather

I would start with A. The vast majority of the posts I have read where people ended up not liking RS involve people who skipped A and started in B. I think that A lays an indispensable foundation for the RS way of thinking about numbers, and I think that B does not provide an in-depth enough coverage of it for beginners.

Tara

I would start with A. The vast majority of the posts I have read where people ended up not liking RS involve people who skipped A and started in B. I think that A lays an indispensable foundation for the RS way of thinking about numbers, and I think that B does not provide an in-depth enough coverage of it for beginners.

Tara

:iagree: