Menu

Update for those that helped me with my math crises.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to all of you who responded to my yell for help regarding thinking I needed to scrap my math plans. Thanks for not laughing at me too!:lol: I don't panic often but when I do it's kind of ridiculous.

So, I made dh sit down and read all of your responses and then we also read through the LONG thread about TT. I also had dds work through a few placement tests of other math programs to see if the gaps were as bad as I thought they were. They weren't.:blush: They definitely need a lot of work on real world application of their knowledge and another thing I noticed was that when I gave them the placement tests they looked at them like they were written in another language. Even with my math girl I had to pull out her MUS book and show her an example of the same problem. I didn't have to do it through the whole test; just the first page or so. It was like seeing a similar problem out of the context of HER book confused her. Is this why people like to use different sources in math? Or are my dc just weird?

Anyway, dh has consented to recanting his veto on staying with MUS. (Thanks to the wise words of the Hive.) We have decided to stay with MUS atleast through pre-algebra with both dc but will be supplementing (Now I understand why people supplement!) with LoF for sure and Singapore's Challenging Word Problems with my oldest. At that point we will probably move to Chalkdust for my oldest, because I need the lectures on dvd, (that info about getting it on amazon was invaluable) and continue to supplement that with LoF and other resources that we can figure out when the time comes. For my second oldest I'm thinking that staying with the MUS\LoF throughout will serve her well considering her loathing of the subject. Although, she may decide later on down the road to become a whiz at math just to spite me.:lol: We aren't quite sure what to do about my dd2nd. I'm still mulling it around in my head. I am looking at staying with MUS for her as well but will most definitely find something that will give her more practice in real world application. However, nothing is set in stone and we must remain flexible. (Without having panic attacks.;))

Again, thanks to all who talked me through that. I honestly don't know what I would do without having this resource at my fingertips.

Your post is very helpful to me. DH and I are looking at math for our dd12. She's in MUS pre-Algebra, but having a difficult time. He was unsure about us trying something else but he agrees that seeing the concepts presented differently might be extremely helpful. :)

I really think there's something to that *seeing the problems presented a different way* thing. My dd was doing CLE and doing pretty well with it I thought, but I realized she has NO mental math skills at all. So I gave her the placement test for Math Mammoth and a lot of the problems she immediately said "I have no idea!!!" and "I can't do that one!!!" Then when I showed her how it breaks down or how it's the same as doing it this other way, then the lightbulbs go on. I am still not convinced that I could make it through 2 programs if in one doing 4 pages takes an hour. It seems like it would take us 2 years to do one level!

OP I'm glad you have some peace and your dh saw your reasoning!

They definitely need a lot of work on real world application of their knowledge and another thing I noticed was that when I gave them the placement tests they looked at them like they were written in another language. Even with my math girl I had to pull out her MUS book and show her an example of the same problem. I didn't have to do it through the whole test; just the first page or so. It was like seeing a similar problem out of the context of HER book confused her. Is this why people like to use different sources in math? Or are my dc just weird?

Yes, this is why people use more than one curriculum. We used MUS from K through Algebra. Several years, we supplemented with Singapore's CWP. I wish I had found them earlier than I did. I remember when ds could do all the perimeter and area questions easily in MUS, but when Singapore mixed them up and mixed them together, it threw him for a loop. It was great because it made him think outside the box and when he had to think outside the box, he understood each concept better. I loved it! :D