Menu

PreK-1st Music?

My husband is interested (his idea!!!) in doing some little lessons with the kids on Saturdays. I suggested music, since it's something he loves and is better at than I am. He'd like some kind of curriculum/guide because he doesn't have the time to plan it himself.

The kids are ages 2, 4, and 6, so I'm not looking at them learning to actually play yet. DH is musically inclined, keeps a great rhythm, sings beautiful harmonies, makes up neat songs on the piano/guitar, but isn't trained with notes, chords, etc.

I did a search and got a couple ideas, but nothing that strikes me as "perfect" yet. I'd like to see if there are any other suggestions.

They all like to do silly dances. DD sings only Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, so she's not that into singing. They like to make up little nonsense "songs" on the piano.

I'd like something that is FUN, that gets their creative juices flowing, that helps them hear and appreciate music.

Oh, and DH can tolerate some classical music... he can't stand kids music. Prefers Muse, Radiohead, Loreena McKennitt, soundtracks... I'm not sure if he'd do anything with cutesy kids songs, but if you think it'd fit otherwise, then, by all means, please suggest it!!:)

I don't actually have experience with this yet, but I had been looking for a program for my pre-k and 1st kiddos as well. I just decided on the Music for Little Mozarts starter set. I have a music background, but I struggle at the piano. Both of my kids have shown interest so I wanted to at least give them a taste of it. This looks very doable and cute as well. The white board and magnet set and Mozart Mouse and Beethover Bear are already getting a good workout and we haven't even started yet! If feel like I can start them with this and then if they have true interest, move them into lessons with a 'real' piano teacher.

Good luck on your search! --paula

We are also using Music for Little Mozarts to teach piano and my kids LOVE it!

For singing we are using God made music which is, obviously, a religious program. It has been a great program for my kids. It also includes learning about different instruments, listening to classical music and composer studies (although, we are doing additional composer studies separate).

I've been using Kids Can Listen, Kids Can Move once or twice a week with my boys (although some of the activities have to be modified to fit two kids and a lack of a variety of rhythm instruments). They really enjoy the activities, and I love that they're being exposed to some classical music. We also have a Carnival of the Animals book/cd set, which we've gone through and enjoyed.

I've been wanting to start some more focused music lessons (beginning note reading, tempo, dynamics, etc.), but we've been doing good lately to get the basics in, so it's on hold for now.

Thanks! A few questions specifically about Music for Little Mozarts and Kids Can Listen, Kids Can Move: Is the music actual classical music? Is it played with real instruments? Or does it have a cutesy kid tone or sound overly synthesized? Is it easy to use, i.e. "Open and Go"?

Dh has a keyboard, an electric guitar, bongos, congas, a couple shakers, a rain stick, and a tambourine, so I'm sure the rhythm instruments are taken care of!

Kids Can Listen . . . uses actual recordings of classical music (real orchestras). Most of them are just sections of the original pieces so that it's more accessible to kids, but they're great introductions to the full-length pieces. It's very open-and-go, although you'll want to look ahead to see what instruments or other materials you'll need or want for each lesson. The author provides times from the CD for each step of the activity, so as long as you have a stereo or CD player that tracks the timing as it plays the music, it's really easy to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

John Fierebend's First Steps in Music is wonderful. Music for Little Mozarts is going to get hard pretty fast for your youngest ones as it gets more on the piano-level 2 requires playing C position on both hands, and level 3 is getting into chording and hands together. If a child starts at 4-5, which is the recommended age, it's no problem, but a child starting at 2 would hit that at 3.

Music for Little Mozarts is going to get hard pretty fast for your youngest ones...

My dh agrees with this! He is an accomplished pianist and teaches our kids, nieces, and nephews. He did like this program because it holds the interest of the youngers, but it does require consistent lessons and it definitely helps if you know chords, etc.