Menu

Strengths and weaknesses of CLE

Mandy4

I bought the LA and Math 300. I won't be using it until next year, but I'm wondering what the strengths and weaknesses are so that I know what (or if :001_smile:) I need to supplement. Thinking about adding WWE, but not sure if it is needed.

Any thoughts on CLE welcome. I would love to hear what people that have used it think.

Hi,

I am using CLE next year with my 3rd grader too. I plan to add Writing Strands. We also use AAS for spelling, (but my dd struggles with spelling), otherwise, we would just use CLE. Hope this helps.

Susan

By the way, we use their math program currently and absolutely LOVE it. That's why we switched to their LA as well.:)

Edited by susankenny

I was just glancing through the light units for Math300. How are new concepts introduced / explained?

For example one of the problems is to match congruent figures, but there is no example or definition of what a congruent figure is. My daughter knows what it is so it won't be a problem. However, I flipped through quickly and noticed that there wasn't much explanation of any topic. I also checked the TG to see if it was there and it wasn't.

Am I missing something?

It's because it is a review topic for CLE. Congruency is introduced in 1st grade and occasionally reviewed to retain the information. CLE introduces the topics very, very gently and before the student realizes it they are doing complex topics.

I find CLE very solid and it allows students to work independently. They choose teach the STUDENT gently and don't require the teacher to "spoon feed" them the topics. I think the teacher is more of a facilitator.

I'm a former public school teacher and I find their books to be rigorous and gentle.

It's because it is a review topic for CLE. Congruency is introduced in 1st grade and occasionally reviewed to retain the information. CLE introduces the topics very, very gently and before the student realizes it they are doing complex topics.

I find CLE very solid and it allows students to work independently. They choose teach the STUDENT gently and don't require the teacher to "spoon feed" them the topics. I think the teacher is more of a facilitator.

I'm a former public school teacher and I find their books to be rigorous and gentle.

I started with the 200 level and one day congruency just popped up in a 'we remember' section... That's the only time I recall wondering where that came from! I just took a few minutes to explain it to DS and we moved on.

I really like CLE Math. I think it's gentle and rigorous. DS is doing very well with it.

We also use CLE LA. I don't like it as much as I like the Math but I think that has more to do with the topic itself than with the curriculum. DS despises LA so I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall every day.

For cle LA, I supplement spelling and writing. Other than that, I can't find anything that covers as much material as cle.

I probably wouldn't need to supplement so much, but my kids were horrible writers. They've improved a lot this year, tho.

CLE Reading is really thorough also.

We use BJU Spelling and Writing with Ease.