Menu

Another question about Vitamin D levels.

I was diagnosed deficient just over a year ago. I don't recall what the number was but I know it went up the 2nd time I was tested. I was told to stay on the Vitamin D and was taking 2,000 a day.

Today my tests showed that I was only at 36 and Dr. wants me over 50, so he instructed me to double my dosage.

I am wondering after reading the threads on Vitmin D..what do you all mean by you feel better after getting your levels raised? What physical symptoms do you relate to being deficient.

I am on a weight loss journey that is going nowhere lately and my Dr. referred me to an allergist today. He is thinking I have some intolerances that are contributing to the glucose intolerance.

But I am still wondering about the Vitamin D deficency symptoms and what role it plays in all of this.

Deficiencies in vitamin D caused pain for me - a searing pain like acid was coursing through my bones. But my levels were low enough that I could have osteopenia - softening of the bones. If it gets lower it can be involved in osteoporosis.

Vitamin D helps your immune system so it could very well be involved in allergies as well as a susceptibility to colds etc.

It also causes general fatigue and depression.

There are more things - cancer, MS etc. that can be affected by low levels of vitamin D.

Thanks Jean. Since I am not Post menopausal, the next test I get to have is a bone density test. I am curious if nothing else.

I don't get sick very often and would have said I don't have allerigies, but am willing to explore that option now.

I had very low levels--much lower than you--and it caused fatigue, foggy thinking, and pretty severe pain (bone and nerve for me). I did develop asthma and outdoor allergies as an adult and when I corrected my level it went away so I do think it was connected.

I did 9,000 IU per day to get my levels up. That level of supplementation is safe regardless of level and can be done daily indefinitely. I'd do more than double in your situation.

I had very low levels--much lower than you--and it caused fatigue, foggy thinking, and pretty severe pain (bone and nerve for me). I did develop asthma and outdoor allergies as an adult and when I corrected my level it went away so I do think it was connected.

I did 9,000 IU per day to get my levels up. That level of supplementation is safe regardless of level and can be done daily indefinitely. I'd do more than double in your situation.

Can you take too much vitamin D?

Yes. Vitamin D is not water soluble but is fat soluble so it stays in your body. However, you have to go fairly high to get toxicity. Even so, it is good to have your levels checked every 3 - 6 months if you are taking high doses.

So, if I'm taking 6000 IU/day, is that considered a 'high dose'?

The vitamin D council website will have great information for you. You do want D3. It's hard to go toxic in vitamin D. There is no incidences of toxicity at even levels most of us would consider high. A healthy adult can take up to 9,000 IU per day regardless of level. So you can safely do 6,000 IU per day. The rule of thumb is 1,000 IU per 25 pounds to maintain current levels. So to increase you'd need more than that. Most of us are low.