Menu

Grammarians or MCT users...why is this word an adjective?

DS was labeling sentences in Grammar Town today and came across this sentence:

Lighting the candles, her mother smiled happily.

They have lighting as an adjective and part of a participial phrase. I understand that a participle is an adjective made out of a verb but I can.not understand why lighting is considered an adjective here. I've always asked what kind? which one? how many? or how much? to figure out if a word is an adjective in relation to its noun (candles) and it just does.not fit any of those.

I was in Honor's English in high school so it's not like I don't have at least a working knowledge of grammar but I'm stumped. And my ds is now questioning my competency :glare: (So am I, actually :tongue_smilie:)

Is it so completely obvious to everyone but me? Anyone?

Edited by Debbie in OR

Maybe if you ask yourself that question you'll understand the answer.

Adjectives describe/modify nouns or pronouns and "lighting" is the adjective describing "mother". "Lighting" is the participle (verb form used as an adjective) and "Lighting the candle" is the participle phrase.

Which mother? Lighting the candles.

or think by rearranging the sentence to: Her mother, lighting the candles, smiled happily.

Candles is the direct object of lighting.

Edited by MIch elle
typo

OK, just so I'm clear: answering the adjective question "which one?", I would say Which mother? The one lighting the candles. Is that right? I get it --sort of -- when it's turned around but it still seems like a stretch...I truly would not have gotten that on an exam :tongue_smilie:

DS was labeling sentences in Grammar Town today and came across this sentence:

Lighting the candles, her mother smiled happily.

They have lighting as an adjective and part of a participial phrase. I understand that a participle is an adjective made out of a verb but I can.not understand why lighting is considered an adjective here. I've always asked what kind? which one? how many? or how much? to figure out if a word is an adjective in relation to its noun (candles) and it just does.not fit any of those.

I was in Honor's English in high school so it's not like I don't have at least a working knowledge of grammar but I'm stumped. And my ds is now questioning my competency :glare: (So am I, actually :tongue_smilie:)

Is it so completely obvious to everyone but me? Anyone?

"Lighting the candles" is a participial phrase that modifies mother. I would label it a VERBAL. It's diagrammed as a participle (obviously). Hasn't there been an earlier reference that shows how to deal with that construction?

It's weird, but this is how I remember these: It's the "lighting the candles mother" as opposed to the other mother over there who puts them out (meaning it's acting as an adjective modifying mother). Candles is the object of the participle, kind if like if lighting were a verb.

"Lighting the candles" is a participial phrase that modifies mother. I would label it a VERBAL. It's diagrammed as a participle (obviously). Hasn't there been an earlier reference that shows how to deal with that construction?

This is what I would do too. Of course maybe that's because Erin and I use the same grammar program :-).

Heather