Menu

Loop/Flow Chart for scheduling?

I am trying to figure out how to schedule for next year. This past year I thought I had it. I had everything scheduled by the week for 36 weeks:001_smile:

But, we are towards the end of the year and we are ahead in some subjects, finished with some and behind in others. So my plan failed.:confused:

I thought I remembered seeing something about a Loop/Flow schedule. I think it was where you rotated what you do. So if Monday is History, Tuesday is Science...then someone gets sick on Tuesday than Wednesday becomes Science. (I hope this makes sense)

Any advice to make our "group studies" go better would be greatly appreciated. I have 5 ages 12,10,9,7 and 5.

Thanks

Try searching for Loop on the K-8 board. There are a number of posts, esp. around fall of 2008.

Here's one.

Another. Another.

A long thread about it here.

I think JudoMom started it. She blogged about it here and has posted about it.

One 1 Michele also has posts about how she uses it.

AudreyTN blogged about her loop schedule here.

Edited by yvonne

Thank you for the responses. Has any used this format successfully? Any tips to make it work or things that didn't work?

Has anyone tried it for each child. Where they get their own loop schedule...so if they didn't finish math by noon, than they start with math the next day?

Just trying to streamline and simplify our days.;)

I am trying to figure out how to schedule for next year. This past year I thought I had it. I had everything scheduled by the week for 36 weeks:001_smile:

But, we are towards the end of the year and we are ahead in some subjects, finished with some and behind in others. So my plan failed.:confused:

I thought I remembered seeing something about a Loop/Flow schedule. I think it was where you rotated what you do. So if Monday is History, Tuesday is Science...then someone gets sick on Tuesday than Wednesday becomes Science. (I hope this makes sense)

Any advice to make our "group studies" go better would be greatly appreciated. I have 5 ages 12,10,9,7 and 5.

Thanks

I do a loop but not quite the same way. I identify the basics for each child, and they do those daily with me (math, reading). Then I have the things that while important, can slip, and those they do on a loop (grammar, spelling, WWE for the younger two, review of independent work they got wrong). That means they only do them twice a week instead of 4 times a week. Each child has 3-4 things that are daily and the rest is on the loop.

Then I hold off on some topics till they can do them independently: art, music, Latin, logic. For example my 4th grader is doing none of the above, but will start Latin this fall, and mid year will probably start logic. Then next year I will add music and art. I don't worry about follow these on a set schedule, but make sure I keep them light enough that they can continue to do them independently. They aren't going to get there quickly, but they will get there and I will have my sanity. :D

My oldest actaully can do most of her hs independently now so focusing on that goal with the oldest is also helpful. I find going forward I am looking for more independently programs that I originally thought I would teach. I just don't have the time to. Instead I am focusing on teaching her how to study, manage her time, ect... so that I am more of a coach.

Heather