Menu

If you were wondering about lapbooking from the LEAST CRAFTY MOM EVER

My ds8 and dd4 just finished their first lapbooks today. DS 8 did his on Ancient Greece, and dd4 (by her choice) did the 6 days of creation. I did not try to have them be perfect, by any means. I let them choose what they wanted to put in them (I sort of helped dd4 "decide" how her books should be) but the writing / coloring / making of the books on ds8's was all his. He and I worked out how to summarize some of the things he wanted to say, wrote it out on the whiteboard, then he would copy it into his books. I'm attaching the pictures so you can see what they turned out to look like.

My reason for posting this is because I have seen so many threads from non-crafty moms (jumping up and waving my hand wildly...i HATE crafts) who feel guilty because they don't do that sort of thing with their kids. I have to say, though, that we all really enjoyed this project and I'm sure we will do many more over the years. It was part craft, part research, part writing, and very much a synthesis of information learned, i.e. assessment. It was completely interest-driven, and while he was working on it, he said several times, "Mom, this is really fun! I love lapbooking!" So, don't let all the over-achieving crafty moms scare you out of this one, gals. It's very easy...just cut some templates, let them write on them, and stick them in a book. I also took some pictures from books and scanned them, shrank them to size and cut them out for my ds to use, but that's not like a craft--that's computer stuff! I did use some of the websites that have been recommended here, but mostly we just "winged it" (or is it wung it? dunno) If you've been putting it off, just let me encourage you to jump in and do it. We had a blast, and the kids are so proud of their work!

post-8624-13535083515971_thumb.jpg

post-8624-13535083516673_thumb.jpg

post-8624-13535083517113_thumb.jpg

post-8624-13535083515971_thumb.jpg

post-8624-13535083516673_thumb.jpg

post-8624-13535083517113_thumb.jpg

They have a general kit and a kit of samples to try available from their website. What I like about their approach is that it is just enough. There is enough direction for things to come out 'cute' and fun, and enough room for creativity so that you don't feel guilty if you don't, say, use 7 kinds of origami paper die cut into calligraphy for each title. It's an inexpensive, kind of down home lapbooking approach that makes it easy to implement and gives results that really reflect what the kids have learned.

They do emphasize that it's best to do this with material that was thoroughly digested already--more for presentation than for learning.

Personally, I have never liked projects where the parent does most of the cutting and writing and the kids just paste things together. For that reason, I didn't do much with lapbooking until DD was about 11 and could design it herself. Then I showed her a worked out example, and she made a few of them. Before that we tended to use triptych boards (like the ones for science projects) for the really major presentations that she did. That skill served her in good stead when she was the project leader for the climate presentation that her robotics team put together, so it worked out better (just by accident) that we had started her on those boards when she was 4. Something to consider. They are hard to store, though.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Speaking of storage, how does one store all of these lovely things like lapbooks, etc.

Perhaps this question deserves a thread of its own. . . :001_huh:

I was thinking maybe you could three hole punch them and put them in a binder...they look relatively flat?

Speaking of storage, how does one store all of these lovely things like lapbooks, etc.

Perhaps this question deserves a thread of its own. . . :001_huh:

Storage is always my first thing...it's one of the reasons i hate crafts. But these are file-folder size, so I will just keep them in their hanging file for the year, or make a hanging file of all lapbooks. I have dated them on the back so we'll know when they were made.

They do emphasize that it's best to do this with material that was thoroughly digested already--more for presentation than for learning.

I would agree with this. We had finished our study of Ancient Greece and decided we wanted to put together something that showed everything that we had learned.

Personally, I have never liked projects where the parent does most of the cutting and writing and the kids just paste things together. For that reason, I didn't do much with lapbooking until DD was about 11 and could design it herself. Then I showed her a worked out example, and she made a few of them. Before that we tended to use triptych boards (like the ones for science projects) for the really major presentations that she did. That skill served her in good stead when she was the project leader for the climate presentation that her robotics team put together, so it worked out better (just by accident) that we had started her on those boards when she was 4. Something to consider. They are hard to store, though.

I agree here, too...which is why i didn't emphasize any kind of perfection. We did these in stages, so that they would have time to do most of the cutting / pasting. Interestingly, it was my SON who didn't like to glue--he was afraid he'd goop it up and wanted me to assemble the thing. He invested a lot in it and didn't want to mess it up. He decided where the things should go after he made them and figured out the layout, then i glued them in place. DD4 was all about the glue-stick, baby! the writing in it was done in lieu of our regular WWE lessons and we did them in the same fashion--narration to summary to copywork, so he was writing his own words down into the book.