Menu

Don't wake me up!

I am a night owl, but I get up at 5:30 am M-F. Every night, without fail, my 12yo and 8yo are loud...usually in the form of bickering. Last night the 12yo hurt the 8yo to the point of tears which woke me up. They were informed that there would be retaliation (Don't you just love what pops out of your mouth when you are half awake? Consequences would have been a more appropriate word).

The consequence? This morning they are up with me and by 6:15 am we'll be out the door. They get to sit in the van in 40 degree weather while their sister is in class for 45 minutes.

I hope they learn something from this. If only they wore makeup. :D

So, if you're a night owl, when do your kids go to bed if they were able to be noisy after you were asleep? Perhaps earlier bedtimes for them would be a more natural consequence?

Jean, I'm just as much at fault here as they are. It is so quiet in the mornings when 14yo and I arrive home at 7:45am that I let them sleep too late. Of course, this means that they aren't tired at night.

The sleep pattern I fall into, if I have no appointments, is 1am to 9am. Because of the early morning class I take 14yo to, I'm in bed by 9:30pm and up at 5:30 am. Last night the kids were in their bunkbed with lights out when they woke me. Their Dad was still up.

I announced that they will now have lights out at the same time I do. I will have to give up a little quiet time in the morning, but I know it is the right thing to do.