Menu

Is Latin Prep 1, 2, 3, equivalent to Henle 1?

My 5-year old DD started Henle after finishing Getting Started with Latin (GSWL). However, would it have been better to begin the Latin Prep series and then move on to Henle 1 (which unit?) or Henle 2? I'm not familiar with Latin Prep, but there are so many rave reviews. DD likes Henle, but I have to admit it's a bit dry, and I'm worried that she may eventually think the same way. I loved GSWL and it did prepare DD for Henle.

I don't know about Henle in particular, but Abbeyej did a comparison between Latin Prep and high school Latin. She found that Latin Prep 1-3 together are the equivalent of about two years of US high school Latin. You'd need to add in more history and civilisation to complete the course though.

In general I don't recommend starting Latin Prep before age 9 - it ramps up pretty fast and there's a lot to hold in your head at one time whilst translating from English to Latin.

Best wishes

Laura

Thank you for recommending Abbeyej. By the way, I see from another thread that you also use Latin Prep published by Galore Park. However, in another thread, someone mentioned that she uses Latin Prep AND SYRWTL Latin. I had thought they were the same, but am I wrong?

I just got a reply on my question. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1679521#post1679521

Edited by crazyforlatin
Update

Thank you for recommending Abbeyej. By the way, I see from another thread that you also use Latin Prep published by Galore Park. However, in another thread, someone mentioned that she uses Latin Prep AND SYRWTL Latin. I had thought they were the same, but am I wrong?

Latin Prep is for middle school; SY Latin is for high school. They cover similar ground, but Latin Prep moves a bit more slowly and is a bit more accessible. To get an extended course, you can do LP 1, 2, 3 then SY 3.

Laura

My 5-year old DD started Henle after finishing Getting Started with Latin (GSWL). However, would it have been better to begin the Latin Prep series and then move on to Henle 1 (which unit?) or Henle 2? I'm not familiar with Latin Prep, but there are so many rave reviews. DD likes Henle, but I have to admit it's a bit dry, and I'm worried that she may eventually think the same way. I loved GSWL and it did prepare DD for Henle.

You had your (5??) year old start Henle? I'm just curious! How's that going??

:)

Latin Prep is for middle school; SY Latin is for high school. They cover similar ground, but Latin Prep moves a bit more slowly and is a bit more accessible. To get an extended course, you can do LP 1, 2, 3 then SY 3.

Laura

Thank you so much for this suggestion. That was the follow-up question I should have asked - what to do after Latin Prep or how to combine them.

Edited by crazyforlatin

You had your (5??) year old start Henle? I'm just curious! How's that going??

:)

It would have been a lot harder if we had not started with GSWL. She loved that book and the format, but Henle is different because rather than just giving 1 word to practice, it gives 5-6 words, but we take it slow, and it helps to have so many exercises. We started Henle in December 2009 and now we are still only on page 50-something, working on 3rd declension nouns. She claims she likes it, is looking forward to finishing the book this year (yeah right) and is doing well with it. However, my weakness is that I see rave reviews for other programs, and I then question whether I've made the right choice.

She claims she likes it, is looking forward to finishing the book this year (yeah right) and is doing well with it. However, my weakness is that I see rave reviews for other programs, and I then question whether I've made the right choice.

What most of us wouldn't give for a Latin program the child likes and is doing well with!

I recommend:

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. :D