Menu

Can you share your experience with Elementary Greek?

mlbuchina

I am thinking of using this in 3rd grade for my dd6 [about to be 7]. We are going to be using the code cracker book [can't think of the name of it right now], this coming school year for 2nd grade.

TIA!!

We are just finishing up Year Two of Elementary Greek. My son is doing quite well with it. You will like it better if you are Christian, since the vocabulary focuses on New Testament words like apostle, God, Gallilee (sp?) and the memory work is Bible verses. But my son has done quite well with it and can even understand augmented words (imperfect). I, however, was left in the dust. :p I tried, really I tried!

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to hear more about EG as well. I'm looking at programs for Koine Greek for DS next year (8th grade.) I've seen somewhere on the boards a comparison between Elementary Greek and Hey Andrew... but can't seem to find it when I search.

I'd like to hear more about EG as well. I'm looking at programs for Koine Greek for DS next year (8th grade.) I've seen somewhere on the boards a comparison between Elementary Greek and Hey Andrew... but can't seem to find it when I search.

Might it be this one?

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145602&highlight=greek

We're using Elementary Greek, and we like it so far. If your kids get hung up on friendly little graphics and things that make work look "kid-friendly", you need to know that this course is just straight black text, but we do like it so far. The kids like learning the vocabulary, and the concepts of declining/conjugating aren't unfamiliar to them, as we've already done this in Lively Latin. We used Greek Code Cracker prior to EG, but it didn't last us an entire year...more like September to February, I think. We're on Lesson 6 of book one. We do Greek two days and Latin two days, so we usually try to get through two of the daily assignments per session.

Thanks for the link Saille. I don't know whether I'd seen that one before, but it does help confirm what I thought I'd seen in other comparison posts. As to plain text, DS loved Latin Primer which is just as bare bones as it can be. He didn't like Cambridge which has interesting pictures and a story line. Go figure.

Would you say that Greek Alphabet Code Cracker is necessary? We actually added the Greek alphabet to our memory work this year so DS is familiar with it (name, appearance and sound) and DD is somewhat less familiar with it. I had planned on getting Code Cracker for DD for next year while having DS begin on whichever Greek program we are going to start with. But I think with five years of Latin under his belt and a familiarity with the alphabet, he would be bored spending even a few months on just the alphabet again. This was his choice of language for the purpose of (beginning) to read scripture in the original Greek. Which program would get him reading quicker do you think?

... But I think with five years of Latin under his belt and a familiarity with the alphabet, he would be bored spending even a few months on just the alphabet again. ...

No, I wouldn't use Code Cracker for him. I mean, he might enjoy reading through it in an afternoon, but I wouldn't expect any more out of it for him. It's really very cute, and I like it! And if your dd doesn't already know the Greek alphabet, it may work fine for her. If she already knows the alphabet, I'd expect it to last her a few days at most. They may enjoy it, but it's not likely to require much (if any) school time.

My 6th grader just finished up Level 1 after 2 years of aLtin). My 8th and 9th graders doubled up on 1 and 2 this year ( after several years of Hey Andrew) and just finished 2. They all do it independently. I plan on using it for 6th, 7th, and 8th grades for the rest of my children after they have had a few years of Latin. They can certainly do it at a younger age, but this way, doing it in middle school, mine can do it independently, which is a big consideration for me. I think it is a great curriculum.