Menu

National Society of High School Scholars - I need info

Hi - Could anyone shed any light on this society? My daughter received an invitation, and we are just so skeptical of these kinds of things. I did look them up on their website and saw that "there are no yearbooks to buy," etc. Like, they charge for membership, and that is why I am wondering whether they're legit.

Should we accept and pay the $45? I am just in the dark on this one.

It does appear they are able to give access to various scholarships to members, but I have no idea on the competitiveness of them or if there are any other real benefits to joining, other than just being able to put it on your list of "honors" on a high school resume.

Thanks for any comments from those of you who are familiar with this NSHSS.

P.S. I just realized after posting here that there was already a thread started on this recently. Sorry for bringing it up again. I appreciated the replies I saw there, but if anyone has anything to add, I am interested.

Jo

I wish there was a legit honors society for homeschoolers! :glare: I know there is that one in which you can start a local chapter, but I don't know if I want to take the time to pull all of that together and doubt whether it's even worth it. Oh well. I actually initially found out about NSHSS through a link on HSLDA so I was bummed when follow-up showed they were a profit--making center.

Have a great day!

Lisa

We also received that invite and are skipping. DS will be inducted into a local chapter of the homeschool national honor society on April 11...I figure that's enough for us. (And even if he didn't have the opportunity to join a local group, I still wouldn't pony up for the mail invite. JMHO.)

• 1 year later...

We didn't do any honor society things of any kind for my kids.

Yes, I was in the National Honor Society when I was in high school, but so was the kid who consistently cheated his way through several classes. In my high school, NHS membership seemed to just indicate that you were in the top 5-10% in class rank -- and your class rank shows that!

I considered the whole honor society thing meaningless and bogus when I was in high school, so I didn't work to find any equivalent thing for my homeschooled kids.

[My grumpy post for the day!]

[if you have found a meaningful equivalent to NHS -- good for you! :) ]

We didn't do any honor society things of any kind for my kids.

Yes, I was in the National Honor Society when I was in high school, but so was the kid who consistently cheated his way through several classes. In my high school, NHS membership seemed to just indicate that you were in the top 5-10% in class rank -- and your class rank shows that!

I considered the whole honor society thing meaningless and bogus when I was in high school, so I didn't work to find any equivalent thing for my homeschooled kids.

[My grumpy post for the day!]

[if you have found a meaningful equivalent to NHS -- good for you! :) ]

Before I plunk 45, are there meaninful equivalents????

Coming in late, but I recommend that you google Eta Sigma Alpha. Our local chapter is new but growing. It is an excellent transcript enhancement for those students who earn academic distinction.

That looks perfect but she is not taking SAt til next yr. Can you get in on GPA alone?

Our chapter requires some form of nationally normed test scores (Stanford, ITBS, etc, or PSAT/SAT/ACT if your student has already taken one of those)) *plus* GPA to be inducted. After joining, a yearly transcript for GPA is required. Check with your local chapter for their bylaws.

The National Home School Honor Society is worth looking into. And they do require test scores. You can't get around that. There is also the newly established National Math Honor Society for Home School Students, too. Mu Eta Sigma. Google them and see if you qualify, explore the website, etc.

Skip the High School Scholars thing - it's a rip off, plain and simple.