Menu

Latin for self-study - middle grades

Just pondering...

We're up to our ears in language - my kids are studying German and Spanish fairly intensively, and have dabbled in Chinese (and may do so again :)).

One of my olders (almost 12) went to Germany last year and spent 4 weeks attending a Classical school, where they taught Latin - which other than roots, she'd never studied before.

She's mentioned a few times since she got back that she'd like to study Latin, but I have neither time nor interest to teach her. However, she loves languages, and I hate to squelch an interest, so here's the question...

Is there a (farily inexpensive??) program or book out there that would lend itself to self-study when she has the time and interest? I wouldn't add this to her schedule, I'm thinking more something to have on the shelf that she could study when and if she chooses. A full-on program with CDs and bells and whistles would obviously be overkill. Something clearly written and straightforward - not some heavy-duty tome, but not a young child's type of introduction either - she's already studying one inflected language, as well as one in the Latin family, and isn't scared of grammar.

Check out http://www.memoriapress.com I'd start no lower than First Form. We like LCI but it's too easy. It is grammar heavy and repetitious. That can be good or bad depending on the student. DVDs aren't a must but they do allow ds to do the program on his own (I have a very busy toddler:)). I'm also looking at Latin for the New Millineum. It's a balance of reading and grammar method. It's more expensive and looks teacher intensive. I haven't decided. Amazon does have a couple of their books for a cheaper price. I'm also looking at the Latin Prep as well.

Getting Started With Latin is inexpensive (just the book, like $18 at amazon; audio files are free on the web though we don't usually use them), completley self-explanatory, very straightforward. There are 134 lessons in the book, which would take her through all five cases, the first and second declensions, but only the present tense. It's an easy start to Latin, lots of grammar and translation. Answers in the back. You can preview it here http://www.gettingstartedwithlatin.com/faq.php

We're using it now (7 y.o. and 9 y.o.) and when we're done in another couple of months I'm planning to move on to Henle I, hoping the ride through Henle will be easier with all this knowledge of grammar going into it.

I'd suggest SYRWTL Latin by Galore Park. This is the highschool version of the Latin Prep books. It is straight forward, but clear & interesting. I'd normally not suggest it for a child under 14yo, but as your dd has a lot of background in languages, including another inflected language, I think that SYRWTL Latin would be the prefect fit.

If you want a gentle approach to Latin, more of an interest-based elective, I'd suggest Lively Latin for that age. It sounds like your dd would be able to handle LL independently. LL is more colorful, but still has a lot of information, but is just set out not to overwhelm the new Latin student. LL doesn't get into long translations as early as the Galore Park books. Ds#2 didn't get to long translations until about lesson 3 of Lively Latin 2. Where as ds#1 was hit with translations by chapter 3 of Latin Prep 1. Ds#1 was not as ready for that kind of language work & hasn't the confidence that ds#2 has. Ds#1 seemed to stall in his Latin studies, where ds#2 has continued to conquer Latin a little step at a time & has overtaken ds#1.

JMHO,

I have talked to people who's children are doing First Form Latin independently, without the videos. I seriously considered doing that as well, because First Form has a reputation for being so clearly written.

My dd wanted videos through, and she can't get past the ecclesiastical pronunciations to use First Form.

Heather