Menu

Handbook of Nature Study OLD or NEW?

Does anyone have or seen both versions? Is the new one better or is the original best ?? I am wanting to order one of them this weekend.

Thanks

I have an old one (I think!) if you'd like to purchase it. If so, I'll look for it to give you information on it. PM me if you want to.

That one is from Lulu, which I think it a publisher that reprints out of print books. They might even be an on demand publisher, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have experience with Lulu to know if the bindings are well done. But I would expect that this is the same content as the 1986 reprint by Cornell.

One thing about the book is that it is very thick, almost three inches. I have the Cornell University Press copy and while it has held up well to our use, the spine does have a crack. I have put an adhesive book cover on it to add some strength to the copy. You are probably going to have similar issues with any paperback copy.

Because the book is out of print, it is also available online. I've found it in Google books and a couple other places.

I was going to suggest one of the used hardback copies, but looking at the descriptions, it sounds like the pages might be rather brittle and prone to discoloring. The Cornell edition is not only less expensive, but printed on pretty nice paper. I've even considered just having mine cut where the crack is (actually right between two sections) and rebinding it into a two volume book that would be easier to handle.