Menu

Recommendations for a strong art curriculum...

MomofSeven

to do over the summer. I'd like something that 1) introduces fine art and artists 2) Fosters student creativity 3) Can be used with multiple elementary age students and 4) Is affordable (which I think eliminates Artistic Pursuits.) Any suggestions?

Hmm... I was going to recommend Artistic Pursuits. I hadn't thought of it as expensive, though. The books are about $42. I'm not sure you'd find anything much cheaper than that which also combines appreciation with practice. You don't always have to use the "best quality" supplies if you're just doing it for a summer program for fun. For example, my ds is much more into drawing than painting, so I'll spend a little more on better pencils, but use cheaper paint and sculpting supplies. That might help you with keeping the cost of it down.

But be aware...art programs don't always "click" with all students...I have bought and sold 3 different Artistic Pursuits in the last 5 years....I have a very creative dd....and she simply strongly disliked AP.

We do art appreciation through Ambleside, or similar to Ambleside...sometimes finding a good book like Juan de Pareja....usually just spending 5 minutes a week looking at a picture, one artist a term..it all adds up.

For art, my dd does watercolour classes and draws in her spare time. She is self taught with drawing but is very good. I have found formal programs have stifled her. But she is strongly self directed. Ds has no interest in art and is extremely self critical, so formal lessons turn him into a monster of self loathing- however, I have had some luck with those guided drawing books with him- the ones that teach you how to draw a monster, a dinosaur, a house etc, step by step.

Anyway, after spending all that money on AP, I was disappointed each time- not with the program, but with my kids' responses...but they do have good resale value.

Hmm... I was going to recommend Artistic Pursuits. I hadn't thought of it as expensive, though. The books are about $42. I'm not sure you'd find anything much cheaper than that which also combines appreciation with practice. You don't always have to use the "best quality" supplies if you're just doing it for a summer program for fun. For example, my ds is much more into drawing than painting, so I'll spend a little more on better pencils, but use cheaper paint and sculpting supplies. That might help you with keeping the cost of it down.

I was looking at the supplies required. I don't have many of these (I hate crafty things and have never kept many around my house). So, it would require me to make a lot of purchases. To your advice, however, I could focus on the areas my dc enjoy most and channel the funds there. Thanks for the suggestion.