Menu

Putting together folders for evaluations???

What in the world do I bring? All their writing? A small sample? Their history notebook, Latin notebooks and grammar? Math books? Or should I bring everything? Good grief, I have never seen a convention talk on this! Maybe testing this year would have been easier!

Any and all suggestions/experience is welcome and needed.

I would include a sample or two (page or two) from the beginning, middle and end of year for each subject. You could include a summary sheet with a brief description of subjects covered and what you used and did for each subject. (specific texts completed, field trips, projects, books read, etc.)

What in the world do I bring? All their writing? A small sample? Their history notebook, Latin notebooks and grammar? Math books? Or should I bring everything? Good grief, I have never seen a convention talk on this! Maybe testing this year would have been easier!

Any and all suggestions/experience is welcome and needed.

Have you asked the person who's doing the evaluation?

As a general rule, bring as little as possible. The evaluation is "supposed to

"show that the child is making sufficient academic progress according to the child’s ability." Samples of beginnng, middle, and end-of-year work should show that (we hope!). So definitely *not* the whole history notebook, not the whole Latin notebook, etc.

Yeah, I'd probably have gone with the testing and be done with it, lol

It's up to you and your evaluator. You could ask them what they want to see. Personally, I tend to bring everything to show to my evaluator, but I already know my evaluator is working for me.

The district on the other hand, they are another story. For them, I supply much less (typically 3-5 samples from each required subject). I also do a "Summary"- something summing up the types of things we do in each of the required subjects, as I feel that helps fill out my portfolio a bit when I'm only submitting a few samples, and it shows what we do for subjects that you can't provide a "sample" of (like gym or music for example).