Menu

While we are drooling over lab kits... can someone review LabPaq and escience labs?

I'm curious about reviews on these. They both look great. I'm wondering how they compare. I'm especially excited about the fact that escience has one for middle school. I'm still in desperate search for something for my middle dd. We are using DIVE biology and kit next year but I'm trying to consider the future and what will be available for physics and anatomy/physiology labs for 11th and 12th grade.

Thanks!

Heather

I'd love to hear more about both of these kits, too.

If anyone has a Labpaq kit(bio or not), could you give us some more information about what's on the cds? What are the student lab pages like? Answers included? How about level of difficulty? Could an average h.s. student work with these?

Thanks!

Caroline

I emailed the company that sells Labpaqs and asked for a sample lesson and more information about the cds. I'll let you know if I receive a response.
Thanks, I'd like to know! I know there were people talking about Labpaqs......hope they see this message and can help explain stuff!

Hands-On Labs sent me two sample labs from the Biology Bk-1 LabPaq. There are 27 labs in this kit. Both lab samples begin with a review/discussion of the concept. One lab has 3 exercises and the other has 5 exercises, and they suggest that you schedule from 30 min. to an hour and 45 min. for each exercise(they give specific times for each one). You would not have to(probably could not if each lab has multiple exercises!) complete all the exercises in a lab. For example, the Macromolecules of Life lab really has 5 different labs from which you could choose any or all. They are:

Testing for Proteins

Testing for Sugars

Testing for Starch

Visual Demonstration of Lipids

Chemical Bonds

Only one of them is dependent on completing one of the other exercises.

Every exercises has it's own follow up questions.

We didn't have AP classes at my high school, but I would guess that these labs would be very appropriate for an honors or AP level biology class.

Hands-On Labs was quick to respond to my request for my information, but their response does request that I not distribute the labs. I would suggest that if you are still interested, you contact them through their website and ask for a sample. If you have a specific question about my post, please ask.

HTH

Caroline

Edited by VBCaroline