Menu

C-Sections: I want more info

Something I didn't see mentioned in previous posts is the economics of c-section births. On average, the bill resulting from a C-Section is 2X the bill after a vaginal birth. Depending on geographic location & individual hospital practices, a vaginal birth will be charged at $6,000-$11,000. A C-Section will be charged at $12,000-$20,000. A C-Section may cost up to $30,000. Since few women see the difference in cost in their own pocketbooks, they usually don't consider the economics.

The national cesarean rate in 1970 was 5.5%, in 1980 it was 16.5%, in 1990 & 2000 it was about 22%. In 7 years from 2000 to 2007, the rate skyrocketed from 22.9% all the way up to 32%. 32%! Contrast this with World Health Organization recommendations that a 5-10% cesarean rate is optimal for overall maternal and child health.

Without looking for a major cost analysis, it is obvious that our healthcase system is absorbing billions of dollars in unnecessary expense from preventable cesarean sections. Anyone wonder why our health care premiums are have risen exponentially? Anyone wonder why Medicaid budgets are stressed? There are many other medical conditions that influence overall health care costs, but certainly the economics of having such a high cesarean rate should be cause for reform in managing pregnancy, labor, and birth around the country.

Adding to the excellent point Marie just made; if you know you're having a c/section ahead of time, there could also be MORE trips to the OB, or in my case, more trips to the Maternal Fetal Medicine group. ONE u/s from MFM group cost my insurance $900! I had to have one every single month leading up to the c/s date. So the costs involved are insane.

Oh, and in case it wasn't mentioned: C-section birth can interfere with the establishment of breastfeeding. See my references above for more info.

Also keep in mind that interventions done in the hospital can turn an otherwise normal birth into a medical emergency. "The Business of being Born" contains a great explanation of how this works.

First birth was a planned homebirth with a midwife. Baby was born without complications after about 5 hours of serious labor.

Planned a second homebirth for the second baby but at 6 months gestation discovered I had a complete placenta previa (where the placenta implants over the cervix). Going into natural labor would be very dangerous if not fatal for me and the baby. At 36 weeks gestation placenta was checked (still completely over the cervix), had an amnio to check baby's lungs and had a c-section that day. It was a completely different experience than my previous labors. The worst part was that the baby was taken to observation for about 5 hours and I didn't get to hold him until midnight when I was calling the nurses nonstop and they finally gave in. I had an allergic reaction to the anesthesia and my face was itching like crazy. It took some time to be able to walk. Couldn't drive or carry my older son or baby for a couple of weeks. Healing was no fun and even now my scar tends to get skin infections.

My third baby was a VBAC. The OB's pushed me to plan another csection but I didn't want to go therel. My midwife wouldn't let me do a homebirth becuase there is a higher chance of complications, so once I was in full labor it was off to the hospital. They didn't want to admit me because I wasn't a full 3cm dilated but I knew that I was in real labor. Finally I was admitted. While my dh went to the car to get my pillow and suitcase and the nurse was off somewhere filling out paperwork I was "trapped" on the bed with an IV in me and went from under 4cm dilated to 9cm. Yes - it was in about 30 mins. Yes - I was screaming. Things were hurting so badly I had decided to go ahead and have some kind of medication but once the dr announced how far along I was it was already way too late. They (unwillingly) let me get up to pass water on the toilet while making me promise to not push. Once back on their bed the baby was delivered in three pushes. Total labor was *really* short, about an hour from when I was admitted.

If I were to ever give birth again (unlikely) I would have the baby at home, with or without a midwife. I deliver too quickly to be driving all over the place.

I highly prefer the recovery of a vaginal childbirth to c-section. The next morning after my last son (about 12 hours after he was born) the dr came in to do my check up and found me up getting coffee from the breakroom for my husband who was passed out asleep on the couch. She laughed and commented, "You can always tell the natural childbirth from the medicated ones."

I'm grateful for the medical technology that saved my and my son's lives but if I have the choice I would go vaginal everytime.

One actually said that they were so awesome she cannot imagine why anyone would bother with a vag delivery!

:svengo:

I don't know if it's the same across the board, but my aunt wasn't covered by her car insurance for six weeks after having her c-section.

Interesting. I do remember my doctor telling me not to drive for at least six weeks after my two c-sections. I could barely move - no worries there!

OP, because I had read so much on natural deliveries before I gave birth, I *did* end up feeling "lesser than" after having c-sections after 30+ hour labours and pushing times. My surgeries saved our lives, and I am grateful (and over that "lesser than" feeling). But it took me awhile and many talks with my doctors before I got over it. I wished that things had gone differently because my recoveries were difficult, but I am very, very grateful for the ability to save lives this way. Still, I would not encourage someone to get a section just for convenience (if that is what your friend is talking about).

I've had natural, and back-to-back c/s. The recovery time is awful. Especially the first 24 hours. Demerol was my best friend. And I have trouble with taking tylenol.

I don't know if anyone else here had this problem, but my last baby was over 10lbs, and as a result, I am now the proud owner of a "Mommy apron". I was completely unware that this happened, and was shocked and saddened to learn of others who had experienced this. Basically, it looks like my abdomen slid off my body, and it grossly hangs. No amount of dieting in the world will get it to go away, and my doc tells me that plastic surgery can fix it. I hate the idea of surgery more than the apron, so it's now another proud 'battlescar' of motherhood. I apologize if this is TMI, but it was something I would have wanted to know (to at least prepare for!) prior to having a c/s.

I have this and have never had a c-section. Mine is from two back-to-back pregnancies. My last two are 18 months apart. Getting pregnant (SURPRISE!) with my youngest while Middle was still nursing at only 9 months old was a SHOCK and I don't think my body has ever really recovered. (particularly my abdomen!)

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl