Menu

Cursive w/o a curriculum?

Tracy

Has anyone ever taught cursive without a curriculum. I learned on my own without one at 6yo. (I was in a split 1st/2nd grade class and just watched the older kids.) I did not use a curriculum to teach printing to dd5. She has been writing for a couple of years now, and she has started asking me to teach her cursive. So I am trying to determine what my next step will be.

Right now, we just do copywork 4x/week (2 lines per day on a landscape page). I was thinking that I could just add cursive letters to the end of the page each day. Am I crazy?

Tracy

I taught cursive without a curriculum. :)

I used this .pdf file from HWT as my guide, as I was a little obsessive about which order the cursive letters should be introduced in. :001_huh::tongue_smilie: I did use StartWrite to make my own worksheets, loosely based on the order of letters in the guide linked above and away we went! I think your plan sounds like a good one.

I did cursive without a curriculum with my oldest. I used this book as a guide for how to form the letters - for him to look at if needed and for me if I started second guessing myself. We did the letters in order, first lowercase a-z, then uppercase a-z. I made him a list of words to write in cursive at first, then a sentence or two. He does his copywork for HO in cursive.