Menu

Talk to me about O-G instruction options!

FO4UR

I am 99% positive I'm dealing with dyslexia with ds7. I've been lurking on every thread remotely related LOL... I know about all the various O-G curricula available (or most), but I'm just not sure which way to go for MY ds. He has been evaluated by a dev opt and does have issues there, and we do VT at home.

I own SWR. (We've spent a long time going through sections A-I multiple times - it's not an option to do this again!) We've tried ETC and Read, Write, Type. We play Happy Phonics games (these WORK to cement those phonograms btw:001_smile:).

Right now, we are using Word Mastery, and are on page 41. He flew through until we got to CVC words where the words were all random (not in patterns like "at, cat, fat"). From then, he HALF the time flies through it easy-peasy, and HALF the time thinks I'm trying to torture him.:001_huh: Today, we had to stop and take a break b/c the top half of pg 41 was JUST.NOT.HAPPENING! 30min later, I sat in a different spot, pulled out the book again and he FLEW through.:confused: This is just reading the words.

I have been having him spell 5-10 words SWR-style from Word Mastery, as review. Same thing - HALF the time it seems too easy, and HALF the time it's sheer torture. In the half that is torture, he can't remember where to start a letter to write it. He still has tons of reversals in print!

One thing that is helping with reversals is dictating the sounds for the letters commonly reversed over and over again (having him print these letters and watching like a hawk to correct a reversal as it happens). It's not seeming to be a permanent fix however.:confused:

Oh, and we started with Cursive First. In cursive, he does fine. He can spell much better than he can read. I have a hunch that correcting the reversals in print is key in his reading skills...idk. So, we still practice cursive to keep up the skills, but the learning to read and spell lessons are in print (and we slowed WAY down to accomodate for having to constantly correct reversals).

So, my question...I am trying to decide how to spend our HS $ for the year. I know I want to just completely go with the O-G method. I hate to buy just one more curric to add to my overflowing shelf...it might even be nice to USE what I HAVE in an O-G way. I'm not sure if that's a viable, or realistic option. Recipe for Reading has been recommended by a few posters I highly respect. I'd like any opinion on HOW I would use it. kwim.

Or tell me you think it's just better to use (AAS, Barton, Wilson...)and here is why???:bigear:

He's a very bright kid adn very verbal. Lots of visual issues...and does have some auditory issues (mixing up, adding in extra sounds in words).

My 2 suggestions are AAS and PR (the Phonics Road). From what I gather AAS is whole to part and PR is part to whole. PR is complete Language Arts, like SWR in a pick up and go format. There are several threads on PR of late. If you look up the social group, you'll find a post with links to everything PR. I absolutely love this program and it is my understanding that it is very effective with dyslexic students. Best wishes.

I think Barton is the bomb! It is so easy to use because it's scripted. We just open the book and start where we left off. My dd's reading has improved leaps and bounds since we started Barton. I think the price is very reasonable considering that all the training is included on DVD, the program is so easy to use, and it has a high resale value. The phonemic awareness work is like nothing I've seen in any other program, and it is all laid out so that all you have to do is follow the instructions.

I tried AAS with my dyslexic dd, and it didn't work at all. It's a good spelling program, but it's not a complete reading program. It includes way too much information at once, and not being a trained teacher, I couldn't figure out how to modify it to make it work for us.

I tried SWR with my mildly dyslexic dd and that was the year she pulled her hair while calling herself stupid. Again, it just includes way too much information in one lesson for a dyslexic student.

I have a son very similar to what you described. He just turned 8 and has had the worst time learning to read. He can spell better than he can read. We have started AAS several months ago and he is doing very well with it. He is reading much better and we enjoy the program. No matter what you use, just keep practicing. It really is the key to success with kids who have reading difficulties.

Blessings,

I own SWR. (We've spent a long time going through sections A-I multiple times - it's not an option to do this again!) We've tried ETC and Read, Write, Type. We play Happy Phonics games (these WORK to cement those phonograms btw:001_smile:).

SWR isn't incremental, which is normally a component of O/G programs. While SWR is a very strong program, it will confuse some kids because so much is introduced at once. Full O/G programs only cover one concept at a time, then review is done with multiple concepts.

Right now, we are using Word Mastery, and are on page 41. He flew through until we got to CVC words where the words were all random (not in patterns like "at, cat, fat"). From then, he HALF the time flies through it easy-peasy, and HALF the time thinks I'm trying to torture him.:001_huh: Today, we had to stop and take a break b/c the top half of pg 41 was JUST.NOT.HAPPENING! 30min later, I sat in a different spot, pulled out the book again and he FLEW through.:confused: This is just reading the words.

Not quite sure what to make of that. Some of it is probably processing issues. My kids once they get flustered they often can't do something they just did 2 mins ago. It is like a panic starts and until they are out of panic mode everything goes wrong. If the words are easy then he might also be board and fighting you at times there.

I have been having him spell 5-10 words SWR-style from Word Mastery, as review. Same thing - HALF the time it seems too easy, and HALF the time it's sheer torture. In the half that is torture, he can't remember where to start a letter to write it. He still has tons of reversals in print!

Sometimes it just takes time. Right now I am working with my 8/9yo (she is 9, but I need to update my sig line :rolleyes: ) writing in sand and tracing sand letter cards. Let me back up, in 1st grade we did the same thing with manuscript. It did help, it did not cure. I generally have her do the cards day 1, then sand day 2. The cards have a starting point, and then she does it the next day having where to start more fresh in her mind (than over a weekend for example). We took her 2nd grade year off because we were both very tired of it. :D For 3rd grade we have worked on both manuscript and cursive. She starts most letters at the right spot, but she is really bad about finishing letters that go back on themselves. For example with b she doesn't bounce up and around, she just continues around from the bottom. With D she doesn't come back down but she goes up to the top and stops. I do correct those when we are doing formal writing time, but in reality her writing is readable without correcting those and she is learning cursive correctly despite making manuscript letter wrong, so I am not going to camp out on it.

My advice? Work on getting him to start the letters at the right spots, and don't make a big deal about reversals when you are not doing handwriting, unless you are sitting right there. If my dd writes 7 backwards on a math problem I mark it correct and move on. That might not be true if she is still doing it in 2 years from now, but for now she is only 3rd grade and she is getting better at spotting it and self correcting. Basically give it time.

Oh, and we started with Cursive First. In cursive, he does fine. He can spell much better than he can read. I have a hunch that correcting the reversals in print is key in his reading skills...idk. So, we still practice cursive to keep up the skills, but the learning to read and spell lessons are in print (and we slowed WAY down to accomodate for having to constantly correct reversals).

Do you feel that way because he reads them incorrectly? My dd will write them wrong, but she doesn't often read them wrong. Most of the time when she does read them wrong she figures out her mistake and self corrects quickly. Overall it is not a problem in her reading. Here if cursive was that much better I would require all writing to be done in cursive.

So, my question...I am trying to decide how to spend our HS $ for the year. I know I want to just completely go with the O-G method. I hate to buy just one more curric to add to my overflowing shelf...it might even be nice to USE what I HAVE in an O-G way. I'm not sure if that's a viable, or realistic option. Recipe for Reading has been recommended by a few posters I highly respect. I'd like any opinion on HOW I would use it. kwim.

The poster whom I learned about Recipe for Reading from is on the Heart of Reading yahoo group. I don't think she is a super frequent poster, so if you joined and put Recipe for Reading in the subject line I bet you would get her attention and some questions answered.

Or tell me you think it's just better to use (AAS, Barton, Wilson...)and here is why???:bigear:

I like Barton, mostly because it is so easy. The videos tell you exactly what to do, no guessing. They tell you how to deal with most problems, so again you are well equipped. Once more for my wiggly guy it includes a lot of movement, so he is pretty occupied. He does fiddle with the tiles now and then, but overall it is going so much smoother than anything else I have tried.

Long term I don't know if I will use the whole program. Two things make me nervous. One is that the reading material isn't always well liked by kids (zzzz) and that they wait so long to introduce silent e. But for right now I really needed something that was easy to use. I have so much going on right now I needed a break, something I didn't have to figure out. Barton fits that. I plan to continue to use it till it doesn't fit. I will deal with what to do next if that day ever comes.

Heather

AAS is whole to part and PR is part to whole. PR is complete Language Arts, like SWR in a pick up and go format.

They are both part to whole - all O-G is. however, PR is more spiral-y and AAS is mastery....though of course the overall goal with either is mastery and 'overlearning'.

I'd get Phonics Road hands down. It's expensive but ready to go.

I'd absolutely NOT do Recipe for Reading - it's just the framework - you're still inventing your own OG program in terms of the day to day.

Wilson is also great and not as expensive but I love PR. It's comprehensive, open and go and really covers it all unlike any other OG based program for the home user.

Don't hesitate. Its that good.

K

And fwiw, if you're going with a totally canned program, go with Phonics Road over Barton. Barton is much much more expensive overall, doesn't do spelling even as well as Wilson and doesn't cover other grammar components and roots like PR

Get Phonics Road!!!

:)

K

They are both part to whole - all O-G is. however, PR is more spiral-y and AAS is mastery....though of course the overall goal with either is mastery and 'overlearning'.

I'd absolutely NOT do Recipe for Reading - it's just the framework - you're still inventing your own OG program in terms of the day to day.

Wilson is also great and not as expensive but I love PR. It's comprehensive, open and go and really covers it all unlike any other OG based program for the home user.

K

Thank you for correcting me :)

I wanted to add that Wilson Reading is one of my back up favorites. I am doing Barton first because it is easier, I have so much reading that I am supposed to be doing that just watching videos is nice. Plus I do have a friend using it who does find it hard to schedule, no problems with figuring it out though. The other one that interests me is Preventing Academic Failure because they chose the readers first for their content, then created the program around the readers. You would think that would mean the readers would be better, but I haven't seen them myself.

Heather

I am not going to read the other replies before posting.

I have no problems with PR, but based on your Original Post I would have a good hard look at Elizabeth B's resources. my free online phonics lessons + Webster's Speller

Each time I look at her site I find that it is more thorough than I previously thought.

She has suggestions for reversals and other problems that kids may need help remediating. There are links that describe how to use the resources as a program. You aren't left floudering with the free resources.

If you end up with PR, then at least you will know that you checked out the less expensive option. ;)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

And fwiw, if you're going with a totally canned program, go with Phonics Road over Barton. Barton is much much more expensive overall, doesn't do spelling even as well as Wilson and doesn't cover other grammar components and roots like PR

Get Phonics Road!!!

K

Barton Level 10 covers Latin and Greek roots.

There are several threads on PR of late.

I'm a regular lurker on all the PR threads.;) I'm afraid it would be too much like SWR...idk...you've tempted me more than once to skip on over to the PR website.

I think Barton is the bomb! It is so easy to use because it's scripted. We just open the book and start where we left off. My dd's reading has improved leaps and bounds since we started Barton. I think the price is very reasonable considering that all the training is included on DVD, the program is so easy to use, and it has a high resale value. The phonemic awareness work is like nothing I've seen in any other program, and it is all laid out so that all you have to do is follow the instructions.

I tried AAS with my dyslexic dd, and it didn't work at all. It's a good spelling program, but it's not a complete reading program. It includes way too much information at once, and not being a trained teacher, I couldn't figure out how to modify it to make it work for us.

I tried SWR with my mildly dyslexic dd and that was the year she pulled her hair while calling herself stupid. Again, it just includes way too much information in one lesson for a dyslexic student.

Thanks for this post! SWR is just too much at once :iagree:.

Full O/G programs only cover one concept at a time, then review is done with multiple concepts.

That is exactly why I want to go with a full OG program.

It is like a panic starts and until they are out of panic mode everything goes wrong. If the words are easy then he might also be board and fighting you at times there.

Good thoughts...I'll have to really evaluate the times this happens.

Do you feel that way because he reads them incorrectly?

Here if cursive was that much better I would require all writing to be done in cursive.

Yes, he is reversing letters when reading. If there is a picture/context clue, he can guess the difference between b and d. It is a 50/50 chance without any picture/context clue, except for the days he's just "on". The discriptions in The Gift of Dyslexia and Making the Words Stand Still seem to be what is happening with him. top and pot are essentially the same word to him. He can mentally just rearrange and invert the letters.

The poster whom I learned about Recipe for Reading from is on the Heart of Reading yahoo group. I don't think she is a super frequent poster, so if you joined and put Recipe for Reading in the subject line I bet you would get her attention and some questions answered.

I'll have to join that group and see what I can find.

I like Barton, mostly because it is so easy. The videos tell you exactly what to do, no guessing.

I plan to continue to use it till it doesn't fit. I will deal with what to do next if that day ever comes.

What level(s) are you using? Easy would be nice...:tongue_smilie: I am thinking about how to fund Barton for the long-haul if I do it. Have you been successful in selling one level to buy the next?

K

That's good to know about the spiral/mastery point.

The thing with me is, I'm a born tweaker and rebel against all things scripted. I've checked out numerous teaching reading books at the library (ours doesn't have Recipe for Reading LOL). Writing my own day from a solid skeleton is what I like about the way I do math. I wonder if RfR would just fit. dh and our bank account would be happy!:lol:

Phonics Road looks great, but SWR was crash and burn...I have this fear that PR will be too much like SWR. (spirally...)

I am not going to read the other replies before posting.

I have no problems with PR, but based on your Original Post I would have a good hard look at Elizabeth B's resources. my free online phonics lessons + Webster's Speller

Each time I look at her site I find that it is more thorough than I previously thought.

She has suggestions for reversals and other problems that kids may need help remediating. There are links that describe how to use the resources as a program. You aren't left floudering with the free resources.

If you end up with PR, then at least you will know that you checked out the less expensive option. ;)

I love the Phonics Page. I might just spend the rest of my brain-energy tonight gleaning her sight for some wisdom/ideas. I'd love to hear Elizabeth's thoughts on how to use Recipe for Reading.

Barton Level 10 covers Latin and Greek roots.

You are killing me!!!:tongue_smilie: That is good to know.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1124388

Here is a thread that may interest you.

Also, if you peruse Orton-gillingham.com and orton-gillingham.org there are videos. You can see the OG method being taught to children.

Good thread!:001_smile:

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced to buy Recipe for Reading, digest it, and THEN decide what to do next. I can always sell it if we decide it's not for us ($25 is a small price to pay before deciding on something like Barton. kwim), but atleast I will *know* going forward what exactly I want in an O-G program.

I have this nagging feeling too that I don't want to uproot ds7 from Word Mastery. If I can just use it more effectively for him, it will be a good thing for his self-esteem, if nothing else.

:confused:

I'll throw in a curve ball for you. :tongue_smilie: I only mention it because it worked very very well with my ds.

Reading Reflex or ABeCeDarian (based off of Reading Reflex and much more user friendly imo) is what I use.

I read Why Our Children Can't Read and What You Can Do About It and I learned a lot about reading.

So there you go, another option you can check out if you want. :001_smile:

ABeCeDarian is appropriate for neurotypical kids learning to read or kids with only the most mild of reading disabilities. If a good solid phonics program used appropriately and frequently hasn't worked, then AbeCeDarian wouldn't be agood direction.

And I actually do love the program - a lot.

Katherine

ABeCeDarian is appropriate for neurotypical kids learning to read or kids with only the most mild of reading disabilities. If a good solid phonics program used appropriately and frequently hasn't worked, then AbeCeDarian wouldn't be agood direction.

And I actually do love the program - a lot.

Katherine

I've looked at ABCDarian samples online.

I am curious though...what makes it *not* work for a dyslexic child? What components are lacking? Is the answer going to be different for a child with issues with auditory processing vs. visual processing?

...trying to break down exactly what I'm looking for...:bigear:

ABeCeDarian introduces too much material at once, doesn't offer sufficient practice, doesn't offer sufficient work on encoding (spelling), it's not multi-sensory.

It's a very fast program. If youve tried another phonics programs - or multiple phonics programs, then ABeCeDarian won't work either.

You're looking for

direct instruction - overtly, obviously teaches the new skill. the child isn't given examples or lessons and expected to pick up the new skill or rule or to 'figure out' what you're trying to teach - it's directly taught. they aren't expected to be able to figure out new material based on what was previously taught: the will be 'directly' taught the new material

incremental - introduces one thing at a time

comprehensive - covers reading(decoding), writing(spelling and encoding), spelling (encoding using dictation), fluency (combination of accuracy and rate) and if necessary, comprehension. covers all 40 phonemes (most phonics programs don't....or if they do, lump many together and cover them too quickly)

multisensory - uses tiles or cards or another method to get the child kinesthetically/tactilely involved while also working via the traditional visual and auditory components.

systematic - one skill builds on the next in a logical, meaningful way

intensive - works on each skill intensively before moving on - is structured in such a way that the instructor has options to stay at a level until the student is ready to move on *and* (this is more up to the instructor) is delivered with sufficient intensity (usually an hour per day 5 days a week for the dyslexic student)

works on syllabication - a program that, once multisyllable words are introduced, continually works on breaking those words down either via a visual method (like Rewards Intermediate) or through rules (all of the O-G programs use rules....ie each syllable must have one vowel.....if the vowel ends the syllable, the vowel is long.....blends stay together...etc)

I used and loved Wilson - but it doesn't spiral at all so I had to build a spiral type review in..Especially as it pertained to encoding/dictation. I'd personally prefer not to have to build *anything* in which is why I like Phonics Road;p (a little practice perhaps) - but everything else is plug and play. It is comprehensive like nothing else for the home user.

here's an interesting program - the first 28 lessons are offered free online. I only watched a few seconds. It's claiming to be O-G but I didn't see a multi-sensory component (it may be in there though)

http://weallcanread.com/

The following site has some fantastic introduction/training videos that are free. I found it really really helpful. It's a great program but have sufficient work in spelling on it's own:

http://www.readinghorizons.com/tour/index.aspx

K

Edited by cillakat

An OG program teaches encoding/spelling first. They then use that skill to decode/read. An OG program will use many senses, especially the hands-on element. Tracing, air writing, building with tiles, etc.

An OG program will start off with teaching the phonograms including single letter phonograms. They will trace the letters in the sand, on sand paper cards, and in the air. This will imprint it in their brain so that they remember how to write them. You will say the sounds while they are doing this so that they also associate the sound with the writing of the letter. Then they will move on to writing them. (Phonics Road teaches this using a clock-face, which is very good for reversals, and makes it impossible to mix up b and d for example.) After they have learned how to write the letters and phonograms, and have learned their sounds, you will dictate the sounds and expect them to either pick a letter tile or write them down. Just one sound, not a whole word. Usually you will have them pick the letter tile once and then write them down the next time.

You will then start dictating words, syllables, and nonsense words and syllables. They will build the words with the tiles in one step and write them down in another step.

I hope that helps you to see how OG is different than what you have been doing.

You can take these steps and apply them to a word list like Word Mastery*. You will need to either buy the AAS phonogram cards or copy the WRTR cards from the book at the library.

But I wouldn't. I would just get an OG program. ;) AAS is probably the easiest option because you can see how it is taught and then resell the program easily.

The programs that I am familiar with do not really include all of the multi-sensory steps. (WRTR, AAS, PR) I know that Sensational Strategies from Orton-Gillingham.com does, and I am not familiar with Barton or Wilson. You should definitely peruse the OG web sites.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I have been in circles with my boys trying to decide what to use.

My 12yo used REWARDS which helped a ton. Now he is working through SWR, but I only "teach" the words he can't spell already. I pretest each list. I am also using the charts to teach the spelling rules directly and choosing example words to do this. I am tweaking SWR to be more O-G.

For the 7 and 9yo boys:

My 9yo is able to read CVC words fairly well and is practicing VCe words. We are working on adjacent consonants auditory processing (Reading Reflex) as he has a hard time hearing more than 3 sounds in a word. Also, we are using Word Mastery for spelling/dictation. He can read the CVC words and now he is working on being able to spell them. In addition, I have him writing dictated sentences from those words (and "sight" words that I write on cards for him.)

My 7yo is also using Word Mastery for reading/writing. I am teaching him to read and spell the words at the same time. His writing is pretty bad, but he starts OT on Tuesday for this and other issues.

They both like to play Happy Phonics games for reinforcement. For workbook practice, they are using MCP Phonics A - there is a lot of phonemic awareness work in these books and they like having a workbook to use. It has worked better than ETC, which my 9yo HATED.

I follow the lesson plan laid out in http://www.amazon.com/Gillingham-Manual-Remedial-Disability-Penmanship/dp/0838802001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272165775&sr=8-1-spell This book is great because you can use it with any materials.

I won't say that I won't do Barton or Wilson in the future, but right now I am happy with what we are doing.

I wish I could Rep every single one of you! Thanks for all the info!!!

My thoughts:

MY ds7 can continue on with reversals even though he learned to write with the clockface....maybe ONLY my child...but it *is* possible. (said with a chuckle and rolling eyes:tongue_smilie:) In cursive, it's not an issue (and we used a clockface with CF too). In print...sigh... We have also used sand-tracing, etc.. in the past. I've been watching OG videos online and have been scouring the www for OG info. I see how I am "so close" to O-G methods already...I'm just missing something. kwim.

We started off with SWR, so I have phonogram cards...and we spell first, and I didn't even start trying to push him into reading until we went through SWR sections A-I 2x. (so close...)

I've been looking at manips that are 3D in nature, foam magnet letters instead of tiles. The tiles (like for AAS) are still 2D letters, even if they are manipulated. I think part of ds7's issues stem from being able take a 2D picture and manipulate it in his head...maybe a 3D tactile object will force that "b" to stand in his head with the stick first and right side up????

Have any of you heard of Touchphonics? What intrigues me is the foam letters. My ds will mix up letters within phonograms too. He'll write "hsell" for "shell" and maybe the h and e will be backwards, maybe not. (and this ds has known the sh phonogram forever!!! It isn't that he doesn't *know.*) I wonder if this program is just what I need??? There is a pdf of the 10-step lesson plan for this program, and I've been looking over it. My biggest concern is a slight difference between SWR phonograms and this program. (R-controlled vowels esp) I wonder if all the colors would be too distracting too.

Lakeshore Learning has some magnet letter sets that are 3D in shape. They aren't connected into phonograms, but are only 2 colors (red for vowels, blue for consonants). I could use these instead of tiles in AAS...or with another O-G program.

I ordered Recipe for Reading, and so I will read through that this week before really deciding what to do.

I'm leaning O-G and def with some 3D letter manips, I guess. (I was up way too late last night thinking of different ways to incorporate more effective multi-sensory activity into Word Mastery...)

I've been looking at manips that are 3D in nature, foam magnet letters instead of tiles. The tiles (like for AAS) are still 2D letters, even if they are manipulated. I think part of ds7's issues stem from being able take a 2D picture and manipulate it in his head...maybe a 3D tactile object will force that "b" to stand in his head with the stick first and right side up????

Have any of you heard of Touchphonics? What intrigues me is the foam letters. My ds will mix up letters within phonograms too. He'll write "hsell" for "shell" and maybe the h and e will be backwards, maybe not. (and this ds has known the sh phonogram forever!!! It isn't that he doesn't *know.*) I wonder if this program is just what I need??? There is a pdf of the 10-step lesson plan for this program, and I've been looking over it. My biggest concern is a slight difference between SWR phonograms and this program. (R-controlled vowels esp) I wonder if all the colors would be too distracting too.

I have no clue if the 3D aspect will help or not. The closest I have gotten is I have ds make letters out of Playdoh with me, and he still has reversals, but would it be worse without that? Don't know.

I haven't looked at Touch Phonics in depth, but I think I can explain some of the differences in letter groupings.

In SWR they break the English language down into the smallest possible pieces and teach each piece. With most o/g programs (and AAS is mid way on this) they teach units. Units are common word groupings that effect vowel sounds. There is more memorization up front, but less guess work as to what sounds are made than compared to SWR. In AAS the one unit taught that isn't in SWR is NG. Actually o/g program would probably teach it as units: ang, ing, ong.

It is one of those points of difference. SWR would say units require too much memorization and O/G would say that SWR leaves the child guessing too much. I can see both points of view, but tend to think that long term the unit approach will probably help the child decode new words better, but hands down admit that it is going to take longer to learn.

When I see key words like multi-sensory, decodable, phoneme, and units is sure makes me think it is o/g. Most EPS products are at minimum based on O/G philosophy. The big thing I would be looking for is what the sequence is. Is it incremental and what type of review does it have?

Heather

When I see key words like multi-sensory, decodable, phoneme, and units is sure makes me think it is o/g. Most EPS products are at minimum based on O/G philosophy. The big thing I would be looking for is what the sequence is. Is it incremental and what type of review does it have?

Heather

This has been where SWR flopped big-time...I think it would great for a spirally-review, honestly, but ds7 needs incremental and mastery first.

Thinking on the differences in phonograms/units, and back to the Touchphonics description to think about how incremental it is.