Menu

Shellless egg help

So, my guinea hen just laid a shellless egg. I learned from this very helpful forum last year that this means she's not getting enough calcium, and that many add some kind of crushed seashell stuff you can buy to hens' feed for extra calcium.

So, I'm going to look into this, but in the meantime, would it help at all to feed the girl crushed eggshells from the leftover hard-boiled Easter Eggs (do not ask why they're still lying around... :tongue_smilie:). I wouldn't eat the egg stuff inside, but the shells don't go bad, if I peeled them off?... they do have food dye on the shells, but that's edible, right???

We don't have her to lay eggs, but to eat our ticks, but still, I don't want to malnourish her so that she's laying shellless eggs... (normally guinea shells are like some kind of iron - you need a hammer to open those things!)

IME all poultry occasionally lay a soft shelled egg. We have approximately 20 chickens and will occasionally find a soft shelled egg. I have heard about the need for calcium too, and we have some that we free feed always, but we still get the occasional soft one. I think it is just a poultry thing. I wouldn't change too much of what you are doing that is working unless this is a frequent occurrance.