Menu

Needlepoint pillows?

I went shopping for furniture with my mom a couple of weeks ago and while she was looking at the furniture, I was browsing the store. I fell in love with a set of pillows they had displayed on one of the sofas. The pillows look like they're hand made and they have insects "needlepointed" on them. But they're $89 each! at the furniture store.

When I got home, I searched on the 'net for the pillows and came up with the same exact ones...

http://www.indoorpillows.com/sales-catalog/Decorative-Indoor-Throw-Pillows/insects-needlepoint-pillows

But even at fifty-odd dollars, they're still way out of my price range.

So I started thinking that maybe I can make similar pillows myself but I've been unable to find any pattens or anywhere to buy the canvas or kit.

Now I'm looking for ideas for someone with little to no creativity or talent. Even if I manage to find the canvas, I'm not sure I can make the finished product look the way I want it to -- basically the way it does in the pictures (the ones with the fringe, though I'd rather have brown instead of green). Any help? Ideas?

Sue

p.s. I have tried the library (and came home with a stack of books but nothing that is similar to the pillows I want) and I have been keeping an eye out on eBay.

You don't need creativity or talent for cross stitch, you just need patience. For something that large, a lot of patience! The most likely way you can do this would be to find a suitable cross stitch or tapestry pattern, then work it up into a cushion later on. To stitch something like that would probably take a year. Do you love the cushions that much?

:)

Rosie

Needlepoint is fun but the kits are few and far between. I have a few kits and almost have a set of pillows finished. Needlepoint does take a long time to do and is a lot different from cross-stitch. It isn't that hard to get confused when doing needlepoint and it is very hard to undo what you have done and do it again.

$50 is probably a good price.:001_smile:

Look at places like T.J. Maxx. I've bought needlepoint pillows there, for not much money. It is very frustrating to have a design in mind and to not be able to find an inexpensively priced pillow though.

You can buy a canvas on which the design is already imprinted, and purchase the yarn separately. In my experience, that is more expensive than a kit, though. You can also contract with someone to design a canvas to your specifications. I have not found a needlepoint shop in the last 20 years, so I'm not holding out hope that you will be able to. Maybe knitting shops carry needlepoint, or can give you contact information for a needlepointer.

Needlepoint is fun to do, but it is an expensive little hobby. Once you have completed the needlepoint, it's not over. Then you have to block it (or pay to have it blocked), and figure out what it's final form will be and buy the materials for it and either do it yourself pay someone to do it.

I have never designed a needlepoint pattern because I have zero artistic talent.

If you Google "needlepoint pillow kits", you will find lots of websites that sell them.

Edited by RoughCollie

Ohhh, pretty pillows! I would add, there is a yard and a half of very expensive trim on those pillows. Honestly, it will be difficult for you to replicate that exact look for under the selling price. If you really want to try, an alternative would be to screen print a fabulous insect picture from an old bookplate onto linen and then sew it into a pillow.

http://www.vintageimagecraft.com/transfer_images_fabric.html