Menu

Choosing a Foreign Language for your child

Liza Q

Right now there are three foreign languages floating around our home - Latin (my 11yo), German (my 16yo and 11yo) and French (my 9yo).

I would like to drop the French and have my son join his sisters with German. Now, I took French for 5 years and my oldest, who took it for 2 years in High School, will be taking it again in next year in college. So it is not that I am against learning French....I would just prefer to focus my attention - and money!!- on one language. I have some ideas about speaking German during the day and I know that I will never be able to add conversational stuff in two languages!

But I am concerned that he will hate it and end up *behind* in French if he goes back to it. I made my second daughter take French for 1.5 years before I let her drop it and switch to German. We both regret it now!

But then I think - he is still young, it won't be that big a deal....

I am sure that I am not the only one in this situation!!

He's 9? Then I'd let him do whichever language he wants, or have him do both. I don't have a lot of experience with 9 year old boys, but what I do have suggests that they spend a lot of time feeling like the world is out to get them. Anyway, French is an official UN language, which can open doors if he becomes proficient, and he's got plenty of time to do that.

:)

Rosie

He's 9? Then I'd let him do whichever language he wants, or have him do both. I don't have a lot of experience with 9 year old boys, but what I do have suggests that they spend a lot of time feeling like the world is out to get them. Anyway, French is an official UN language, which can open doors if he becomes proficient, and he's got plenty of time to do that.

:)

Rosie

:iagree:

My daughter is studying four languages (not counting English) and we're going to try adding another next year. I think, as adults, we forget that at this young age their little minds are flexible and can absorb more than our old hardened ones can. :001_smile:

Oh, I am sure that he could handle both if he were interested in both! He has no interest in German.

But Rosie is right about him feeling that the world is out to get him!! My girls think he is spoiled but he thinks that his opinions are considered *less important*. Sadly, they are both half right :glare:

Bottom line, I need to streamline some things for next year. I could get him something like L'Art de Lire which would not take up too much of my time and just not supplement it the way I would like. He will just have to put up with the conversational German - or learn some!

But I just don't feel like spending *any* money on French right now - it is shaping up into such an expensive year, I am trying to cut wherever I can. And here is where, if he knew, he would be justified in thinking that the world is out to get him - I am already spending the least on him!

I think I need to lay all the curriculum $$$ out on a chart and see if I can balance it a little better.

So, this is about allocating time and money as much as it is about Foreign Language. I have already decided to take some money I was hoping to spend on a German class for my 11yo and use it instead for a summer German camp for my teenager. Now, the class would have been very inconvenient (about 1.5 hours subway/bus commute each way once a week) so my husband was not crazy about the class but still - I feel guilty about it. So I am figuring out ways to bump up the German at home, which cuts into the time/money I have for French with my son.....

There is just never enough time or money!

Oh, I hear you! With my dd's four languages (next year five) I am putting out $$$$$$$ right, left and centre!

Just a thought regarding your ds wanting to learn French and saving money ........... we've been fortunate to be able to travel to France for the last two years for a month and a half each time. We got to know some people there and when I asked about teaching French to my dd, their recommendations were: read lots of French books and get her watching French DVDs. Whenever I asked about French curriculum books (I saw them in some stores there) they would wave their hands and shake their heads and say, "no, no! Books, DVDs & music". I'm no expert but these people knew at least three languages. I've tried this with my daughter (with a workbook page or two thrown in here and there. After all, I have to remain a little North American, right? ;) ) and it's working well. She seems to be progressing at the same pace as her other 'curriculum heavy' languages. Since you have some French background, this might be a less expensive option, especially if your library has French books & DVDs ......???

Yes, there always seems to be at least one child in a family that feels hard done by. Heavens, I was an only child and I remember feeling that way at times! Try to think of it as a stage that (hopefully!) he will grow out of.

On another topic, I see that your daughters (both?) are doing the OK state German program. How are they finding it? Are the exercises done completely online? How much German conversation do they get with the teacher? I was thinking about having my dd take German I (she will be 11 yo) with them in September so I'm curious. Thanks in advance for answering my inquisitive questions!:001_smile:

But I just don't feel like spending *any* money on French right now - it is shaping up into such an expensive year, I am trying to cut wherever I can. And here is where, if he knew, he would be justified in thinking that the world is out to get him - I am already spending the least on him!

I think I need to lay all the curriculum $$$ out on a chart and see if I can balance it a little better.

So, this is about allocating time and money as much as it is about Foreign Language. I have already decided to take some money I was hoping to spend on a German class for my 11yo and use it instead for a summer German camp for my teenager. Now, the class would have been very inconvenient (about 1.5 hours subway/bus commute each way once a week) so my husband was not crazy about the class but still - I feel guilty about it. So I am figuring out ways to bump up the German at home, which cuts into the time/money I have for French with my son.....

Well, if money is an issue, why don't you see if you can borrow French materials from the library? Most libraries will let you renew materials if no one else has requested them. And most libraries have Berlitz French Basic Course (some even have the complete course!). You could also see if another library in your local library system has it, if the library closest to you does not. Many libraries also have the well publicized (and respected) Pimsleur courses that you can borrow.

Berlitz had some courses and books for children that your library may still have. Conversaphone had French for Children with a Book and 3 Cassettes that many libraries also carried.

I also want to add that my library has copies of the video/DVD of Bonjour Les Amis--French Made Easy for Children, which is not too bad either.

Oh yeah, I forgot one more thing. You are based in New York City! You really should check out the French Institute/ Alliance Française (22 East 60th Street, NYC | T: 212 355 6100). They have a library and for a small yearly fee, your son could check out French materials. Plus they have free story readings and movies for kids in French. They also have classes too, if you don't find them too expensive.

Edited by Shifra

• 11 months later...
Oh, I am sure that he could handle both if he were interested in both! He has no interest in German.

But Rosie is right about him feeling that the world is out to get him!! My girls think he is spoiled but he thinks that his opinions are considered *less important*. Sadly, they are both half right :glare:

Bottom line, I need to streamline some things for next year. I could get him something like L'Art de Lire which would not take up too much of my time and just not supplement it the way I would like. He will just have to put up with the conversational German - or learn some!

We studied a few different languages at a time, the first was Japanese. We were in country at the time. Little did I know, my children HATED it. (I had no idea.)

We then got an assignment to Germany and my husband suggested we pick up German as a 3rd lang. The children picked up German in no time. That is when I found out their angst for Japanese! :confused: Before I knew it they were ready to converse and left me in the dust.

I would suggest, if you can, hiring a tutor or possibly exchanging lessons with someone for some other classes (I have done this before when our budget didn't afford extras). It really helps. Also, using things from the library first before you buy them have helped us.

One more thing that might encourage your son with German, I have found that the more we converse with the locals or a native speaker the better the experience. This is especially helpful if they find friends their own age.

Best wishes on your endeavors.