Menu

Question for raw milk users...

We have recently switched to raw milk and all I can say is "Where have you been all my life?" Wow... What a difference! I can now drink 2 or more glasses of milk and not get a churning stomach! :hurray:

My question is about my baby; she's 6 months old and on formula. She's doing really well, this particular formula agrees with her and she's eating plenty of good solids. Has anyone given their baby raw milk before 12 months? I know there is a raw milk formula recipe on the Weston Price website, but there are too many other ingredients we can't get hold of. My naturopath suggested adding about 20 mls to her formula now, and gradually increase till she's on raw milk at 10 months. I think it's a good idea, I just don't know anyone else who's done it.

Hello Lucy in AUS; I'm Lucy in NC;)

I love Nourishing Traditions and I love raw milk. We enjoy the recipes for lacto-fermented veggies. But their recommendations for infants are not supported by current data. In other words, the AAP and the WHO say that human milk or formula needs to be the primary source of nutrition for children until they are 12 months.

Please consider that diluting her formula with raw milk is replacing food she needs with food she can have as a supplement. At 9 months she can have yogurt and cheese made from raw milk; why not wait until then? Cow's milk, though it contains wonderful live compounds, also contains proteins that are huge and hard for little ones to digest. So in other words, you can mix probiotics into your baby's mashed banana instead of giving cow's milk, and she will benefit. HTH