Menu

Does this seem like too much for a 12yo...

michaeljenn

This is what is on his assignment sheet for Monday.. each day looks pretty similar..

Bible- Rod and Staff

Math- Saxon- we do the drill sheet, mental math and all the problems.

English- Rod and Staff-I usually do some orally, but mostly he writes out the answers.. just depends on the concept

Writing- We are using Writing Strands.. we will be editing a report he did last week.. it may take all week to get this one perfected

Spelling- SWO

Vocabulary- We use vocabulary from the Robinson Curriculum, along with their books

Latin/Greek roots- we learn 2 new roots a week. He writes the new words/def on notecards.

Reading- Assigned reading from Robinson List

History- Read from SOTW, Kingfisher and outline (monday) we pretty much follow TWTM on history including reading library books and preparing an essay weekly

Typing- 20 minutes

Spanish- Rosetta Stone- 20 minutes

Guitar practice

For some reason it seems like alot... then it doesn't. What do you think?

sometimes our list looks ridiculously long too. Then I remind myself of the time allotted for each subject & realize it doesn't add up to an unreasonable length of time. More than # of subjects I look at time spent. :)

Now if dd chooses to drag it out unnecessarily that is a different story:D

I don't see science--are you alternating with history?

I actually might cut down on the frequency of some subjects, if you feel it is too much (if you felt it was absolutely fine, you probably wouldn't have posted, right?). Perhaps go lighter on the Robinson lit, if you are really following WTM, since lit in WTM is tied closely to history. Maybe you could do R&S 4 days a week, or vocab 4 days a week, to give a little break. If you are doing an essay for history, writing in R&S, and Writing Strands, is there overlap?

Other than that, it seems like you are fine. How does your 12 yo respond to this schedule? (Notice I didn't ask how 12yo feels about it! lol)

This looks similar to what I'm having my 7th grader do next year (he'll be 12 this summer):

7th grader:

R&S Artpac 7

R&S Grammar 7

R&S Spelling 7

R&S Math 8

New Testament Greek for Beginners

Wheelock's IA and/or Lingua Latina (still thinking about this one)

Omnibus I (covers history, literature, & Bible)

CW Homer B & Beg Poetry B

I'm not doing a formal science program in the junior high years in lieu of our heavy focus on grammar (English, Latin, & Greek). We do PE as a family 3 nights a week.

The only adjustment I see is that you could possibly combine the separate subjects of vocabulary and Greek/Latin Roots to streamline your weekly work. SWO G & H cover Greek/Latin roots, so you may be able to cover all 3 subjects with just your spelling program depending on what level of SWO you are doing.

Well, it might seem like a lot to me if it's all done everyday--lots of worksheets...seems like maybe you could streamline some of the writing, or do the R&S exercises more orally. (We tried R&S in 4th grade, but it seemed like more writing than was necessary to understand the concepts taught...so we did a lot of it orally.

My 8th grade son (who tests as gifted, but I don't tell him) used Videotext for Algebra, HistoryMakers (from Trisms) with IEW for history and writing, some language arts programs that we use on different days (such as Editor in Chief, Cozy Punctuation, Word Roots, SpellingWorks!, and Language Lessons for the Secondary Child <daily>), literature from Trisms, Geography twice/week (Mapping the World by Heart), Total Health for the Middle School Student (3 x/week), Rainbow Science (with PH readings), Rosetta Stone (3 x/week) for German, Garfield! (for typing :-), Latin Prep (2 x/week)...viola practice daily; PE daily (between baseball, hockey, and working with a personal trainer). Lots of variety...

I don't know if I read your post correctly, but I interpreted it to mean that it is typical for him to do all those subjects daily. It might be a lot for him to do all of them thoroughly on a daily basis.

My 12yo ds has 14 subjects, but he doesn't do all of them daily. Each day he has 5 or 6 "individual subjects" including guitar practice and 3 "together things". He is comfortably ahead a year or more in most subjects, and we're able to complete each year's academic goals planning this way.

BTW, the "together things" title has nothing to do with my participation, because I help out whenever needed with all 4 of my boys. He has 3 school-aged brothers so there are 3 subjects we do together daily which the boys and I call "together things".

If your 12yo has some free time to explore areas of interest, then he probably isn't doing too much. If he doesn't have free time you may want to cut back unless it's a procrastination/discipline issue.

Peace,

Jen