Menu

John Tiner, world of... books, how are these Christian?

jenniferlee

I was looking at these on the tanglewood site and it says, "Christian themes" What does this mean? Is he anti-evolution or pro-YEC?

thanks for any help. I am having a terrible time figuring out science for next year. I might ask some more questions later...:001_smile:

Jen

We've been using Exploring the World of Chemistry this year. We've only read the first 10 chapters. So far the only "Christian" themes I have seen are that he refers to Biblilcal times on occasion or mentions a Biblical story. I suppose that makes them "Christian" but I haven't found it overly so, it doesn't seem to really affect the scientific facts he's giving.

YMMV

I'm sure others will chime in!:)

... the tanglewood site and it says, "Christian themes" What does this mean? Is he anti-evolution or pro-YEC?

From what I've read on these boards, people tend to either really enjoy Tiner's books or find them really dull. Our DSs *really* enjoyed them; we all love science documentaries and so we liked reading about the discoveries scientists have made over the years. Of Tiner's books, we have read and enjoyed:

Exploring Planet Earth (gr. 4-6)

History of Medicine (gr. 4-8)

World of Chemistry (gr. 5-8)

World of Physics (gr. 5-8)

World of Mathematics (gr. 6-9)

As I recall, all the books focus on a progression through history in each science field by honing in each chapter on a key scientist and his/her discoveries, and so the Christian content tends to refer to the scientists' faith (if they were Christian). I believe there were the occasional Bible references. I honestly can't remember if there was any strong young Earth, Creation, or anti-Evolution content, but I'm inclined to think not, as usually strong worldviews in ANY direction tends to jump out at me.

I am having a terrible time figuring out science for next year.

The Tiner books are strictly informational from a history perspective, with no experiments or hand-on -- they are not a science program and don't teach science, but are a great supplement to a science program. BEST of luck in deciding what to use. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori-

thanks so much! That is just what I was looking for information-wise. As far as curriculum goes, I was thinking about using one of the elemental science programs for my younger kids and adding in the appropriate Tiner book for my 6th grader. She really loves science of all kinds and I think she would enjoy the informational aspect of his books.

Jen

We are using the newest Tiner book, Exploring the World of Biology. It's mostly plant and animal biology, however the last chapter "Frauds, Hoaxes, and Wishful Thinking" talks about some of the "frauds" of early man. It doesn't outright deny Darwinism, but it's implied. It could easily be skipped or used as discussion material.

Lori-

thanks so much! That is just what I was looking for information-wise. As far as curriculum goes, I was thinking about using one of the elemental science programs for my younger kids and adding in the appropriate Tiner book for my 6th grader. She really loves science of all kinds and I think she would enjoy the informational aspect of his books.

Jen

I'm using this with my 6th grader. He reads a chapter and we do the quiz together. I do like that the chapters are fairly uniform in length, so it's easy to schedule.

We have used the World of Chemistry book this year. My son really enjoyed it. I believe it talks about christian scientists, etc. We are putting together a lapbook/notebook with it and also putting together chemistry, periodic table booklets from http://www.homeschoolshare.com (and our own booklets). He has used this book as a starting point. Hopefully we will have the lapbook/notebook together within a month. (We are full of booklets from other subjects too) :tongue_smilie:

Guest mrsjamiesouth

We have the whole collection, but only have started on Exploring Planet Earth this year. It has Bible references. It also mentions Charles Darwin and that his beliefs are unproven and why they think he is wrong. There are also references to Jesus's baptism by John the Baptist.