Menu

would like thoughts and opinions on dressing for job interviews.

If it is a job where you will be dressed very casually (as to avoid too much baby puke or poo on nice clothes, lol), how dressy do you get for the interview? How fancy of a top do I need, and do I need slacks? Khakis? Are my nice jeans too casual? I may need to get some new clothes...........

I have a phone interview for a postpartum doula client today, and asking this in the hopes I will have an interview with this family next week. The hours would be perfect, it isn't too far a drive, and it would be super to have a client before I do the training (Though I am also really worried about doing it before I have the support of the training, sigh.)

Wish me luck! It has been a frustrating day parenting and work-wise, I am wiped out, nervous, and cranky. I need to go pull myself together to get ready for this!

Always nicer than what you would wear if you got the job. My dh recently interviewed for a job he got (Yeah!) and he wore formal men's work slacks, long-sleeved oxford shirt and a tie - maybe a sport coat - can't remember. He looked like a rock star! He only ever wears jeans to work with T's or polo shirts as that is the attire they require, but it was a sign of respect to get dressed up for the interview. I think that is very important.

If I was an employer, what a person wears to an interview would be the first indication of how they will view my job opening. Did they consider it worth their time to "go the extra mile" for me or are they sloppy and unkempt? Just my perspective. :001_smile:

I never had a doula, but did have a midwife for my homebirths.

When she came to interview, she was dressed comfortably.

By that, I mean, I have no idea what she was wearing, I just remember the overall impression she gave was kindness personified.

I would remember if she was overly dressed up; in fact that would have been a drawback for me. I just wouldn't have felt comfortable with her.

My suggestion is to look put together, but not overly so; khaki's or jeans with a nice top (not t-shirt casual.)

Good Luck!

My friend is a doula and loves her job :001_smile:

Thanks for your thoughts, ladies! Looks like I need a couple of pairs of pants for the interview process. I am scheduled for a haircut this weekend, so that will help,too.

Jean, that is a good idea.... I hadn't thought of the kurta as an option.

I had the phone interview and it went really well, except that they want to pay significantly less than the going rate here in Seattle, and there are others who are willing to do this much work for less. Stoopid economy. Now I have some thinking to do.........