Menu

Spelling Power or AAS?

caitlinsmom

I posted a little while back about DD and her spelling program. After looking at all the recommendations I have narrowed it down to Spelling Power and AAS. They seem like two very different types of programs each having their own pros and cons. I would like something that will show results fairly quick so as to keep dd motivated.

My dd is getting to the point that she likes to write but has the hardest time with spelling. She can read "cat" but is stumped when it comes to spelling because she doesnt know to use "c" or "k". She likes rules and can memorize with the best of them.

So for those who have used both which would you suggest to use for a (young) 2nd grade dd who is very ADHD, emotional, and does not hear the connections in words?

would like something that will show results fairly quick so as to keep dd motivated.

So for those who have used both which would you suggest to use for a (young) 2nd grade dd who is very ADHD, emotional, and does not hear the connections in words?

I have not used Spelling Power, but did research it at the time. Maybe I shouldn't be posting here. For us, AAS has been THE best homeschooling purchase that we have made in a long, long time. It was well worth the $. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has even come close. We tried so many things for our son's spelling. For those who are strong in spelling, this program sets an excellent foundation. For those who are not, such as my son, this program works like an absolute charm. You work at the speed of the child. There is as much review as they need. What I particularly love about it is that there is no learn it for the Friday test and then forget it. He has ADHD tendencies like your dd.

I debated the same two. What it came down for me in the end was I found Spelling Power second hand for cheap. I was kind of relieved to not have all the AAS tiles... I knew my dd2 would have them all over the house in no time. What I like about Spelling Power is that it's super quick to use. 15 minutes a day. I wouldn't worry about your dd's spelling so much yet. She's so young like my daughter. Apparently, we're not supposed to even be starting spelling lessons yet. I don't even do the Spelling Power everyday and I don't even do the full 15 min. I started early with her just to get her "thinking" about spelling when she writes. It worked! I noticed that she's paying more attention to how she spells words since we started the program.

:auto:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I'm new and have just been lurking but I've used both (and several other) spelling programs so I thought I'd give my 2 cents worth:001_smile: While both programs are phonics based AAS is much more in-depth than Spelling Power. They are also both mastery programs but that is where the similarities end.

Spelling Power's lists will be lists like "short a sound," "long a sound," etc. The words will all have a "long a sound" with many different spellings (ai, eigh, a consonant e, etc) but no idea as to why different spellings are used or when. My children (especially my spelling challenged son) found this to be very frustrating!

AAS also goes into all the "why's" behind the ways words are spelled. The last couple of lessons have been on the sound of k; when c makes the k sound (and why) and when you use ck to make the k sound (and why). There are always some words that don't follow the rules but knowing the reasons behind the rules has made a world of difference!

I am currently using AAS with my 14 year old spelling challenged son for remediation. He reads at college level but his spelling is abysmal. He learned all they rules, why's and when's in phonics but has forgotten much of it over the years. I've been SHOCKED at just how much he has forgotten! Even though we are just finishing Level 1 it has already helped SO MUCH! If AAS had been around when he was younger he wouldn't have had a chance to forget anything.

Spelling Power is in my pile of things to sell this year. I'm going to be taking my son through all the Levels of AAS and will be using it with my 3 younger children.

Spelling Power's lists will be lists like "short a sound," "long a sound," etc. The words will all have a "long a sound" with many different spellings (ai, eigh, a consonant e, etc) but no idea as to why different spellings are used or when. My children (especially my spelling challenged son) found this to be very frustrating!

AAS also goes into all the "why's" behind the ways words are spelled. The last couple of lessons have been on the sound of k; when c makes the k sound (and why) and when you use ck to make the k sound (and why). There are always some words that don't follow the rules but knowing the reasons behind the rules has made a world of difference!

This is exactly what we need! We use spelling workout right now and the lists sound similar to spelling power. Dd find it SO confusing and frustrating! She is the "why?" child, she always needs to know why so she can move on to the next thing. If she doesn't know why, Oh Boy, she wont drop it for days until she is satsified.

Thanks everyone for the responses. It sounds like AAS is going to be the way we go.....now if I can just find it cheap! ;)

This is exactly what we need! We use spelling workout right now and the lists sound similar to spelling power. Dd find it SO confusing and frustrating! She is the "why?" child, she always needs to know why so she can move on to the next thing. If she doesn't know why, Oh Boy, she wont drop it for days until she is satsified.

Thanks everyone for the responses. It sounds like AAS is going to be the way we go.....now if I can just find it cheap! ;)

I'm a huge fan of AAS- I bought levels 1-3 to start with this year, and when I went to the Midwest Convention, I bought 4-6!! If they are going to be at a convention near you, you can at least save on shipping costs. I don't think it works for everyone, and I occasionally see it for sale on the sale/want forum.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I would probably get Levels 1 and 2 because she may get to Level 2 sometime during the next school year. There are readers that can be used with both levels that are GORGEOUS! They currently have the 3rd book for Level 1 and both books for Level 2. The first 2 books that can be used with Level 1 are due to be out in early fall (I think I saw a post that said it could be as early as August). Just thought I'd throw that out there in case it might influence ordering. I like to keep shipping costs to a minimum so I keep track of when things are coming out:D

I also really like AAS for the depth of the rules given, and how incremental it is. It will have the student work with one pattern at a time before putting that pattern together with other ones and expecting the child to know which to use.

BTW, the rules for C vs. K are introduced in the first level :-).

Here's a discussion on the AAS message board, the Chatterbee, where SP and AAS are compared. HTH some as you decide what to use.

Merry :-)

We've used Spelling Power in the past and are happier with AAS. Spelling Power lists ways to spell a sound but doesn't tell when to use each one. Very confusing.

We're a few steps into AAS 3 and still going strong. I actually really like the tiles, though I was reluctant at first. DS11 strongly dislikes writing and the tiles make spelling mistakes much less of a big deal for him. (Side note: I purchased a second set of tiles and use them for ds6 and reading. He really has to sound the word out when I only put one letter at a time down. :D)

I will say this: I am planning to go through Spelling Power after finishing AAS. DS11 shows maybe 70% retention of what we cover in AAS. I like the was Spelling Power handles words the child already knows and gives ways to study the trouble makers, I just don't like how it doesn't really explain the spelling rules.

DS11 shows maybe 70% retention of what we cover in AAS.

Are you using the review box for things he's not remembering? Sometimes it's easy to move words to "mastered" too quickly. If it comes up later in a dictation that it's not mastered, go ahead and put it in review again. I like to walk my kids through if they miss a word--first I let them try to find the error without my help--I just say "there are 2 errors in this sentence." If they can find it, great. If they need help, I show them the word & ask if they know what's wrong. See if the student can identify the rule or pattern that wasn't followed. Get them to analyze. If it's a visual pattern (like EE vs. EA), then we go through the steps that the author outlines for studying those words. I have them try scratch-paper spelling to see if they can correct it--what are the other choices for that sound? We circle and highlight the letters they missed once they do spell it correctly, etc...

If they have a segmenting error or leave out a sound, I have them sound out exactly what they wrote. If the error is from mispronouncing, I have them pronounce for spelling, etc... Use all of the strategies that are taught in the program and get the student into the habit of using them. I routinely put missed words, and the related phonogram, sound, and key cards back into the review stack as needed. If it's a visual pattern, we'll read through the related word bank for several more days to build up that visual memory. We revisit mastered cards a bit more often than the book schedules to see if they are still mastered.

If you ever can't easily find a word card or if you want to add in extra words from his writing for him to review (words that follow patterns he has learned, or the occasional common word he should know), you can use this form for blank word cards.

HTH! AAS is a mastery-based program, so use the customizable review to its fullest! If the errors you are seeing are showing up in his writing rather than in the spelling time, check out this blog post on how to help their spelling skills get into their writing. Merry :-)

Edited by MerryAtHope

I'm not sure who strarted this thread, but THANKS!:) I met with my ds teacher yesterday and couldn't figure out why his spelling words, which he consistently gets 100% on tests, aren't showing up correctly in writing. I think it is the program! His class is doing something like how Spelling Power was described, this week is O sounds, short o, long o ow, oa, o-silent-e. But without an explanation of the rules to help him figure it out himself! I am going to get AAS, not just to decide if I start it now, alongside school, or do it in the summer so as not to confuse him with two different things.

Thanks to everyone who shared in here, you gave me some great info!

Cheryl

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I'm not sure who strarted this thread, but THANKS!:) I met with my ds teacher yesterday and couldn't figure out why his spelling words, which he consistently gets 100% on tests, aren't showing up correctly in writing. I think it is the program! His class is doing something like how Spelling Power was described, this week is O sounds, short o, long o ow, oa, o-silent-e. But without an explanation of the rules to help him figure it out himself! I am going to get AAS, not just to decide if I start it now, alongside school, or do it in the summer so as not to confuse him with two different things.

Thanks to everyone who shared in here, you gave me some great info!

Cheryl

Are you going to be homeschooling him or will he remain in school? When does the school year end?

Are you using the review box for things he's not remembering? Sometimes it's easy to move words to "mastered" too quickly.

Thanks for all this info! :001_smile: I am thinking through what you said and how we are using AAS. I'll bet I can make some improvements....